Expedition takes on Goldmine hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had read that the system was one of the more advanced 4WD system and was perplexed by the immense amount of wheel spin before it engaged, also made me think the 17 Expedition I'm eyeballing would be a step back in capability from my 02 F150. I won't let his lack of ability shy me away though. I demand they retest..
The '17 is pretty different from '18; the only options were an open differential or an old school LSD...

Plati

Reaction score
Have to be careful with patents. What's "patented" is in the Claims (at the end). The preferred embodiment in the Description does not always make it to a Claim. As long as the product practices one of the Claims, the technology in the product is "patented". Just sayin.

Patents are still a great way to understand how stuff works though!

The Japanese actually cut way back on patenting things because they would put it all in a patent and the Chinese would use that cookbook and steal the idea.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The '17 is pretty different from '18; the only options were an open differential or an old school LSD...

Pretty similar but different, both use BorgWarner TOD. Difference is 3rd gen has more 4WD modes and uses braking bias. 4th gen has extra drive modes and available eLSD. When the 3rd gen was released Ford removed the LSD option available on 2nd gen because the braking bias was added to controltrac, and could potentially fight the LSD. 15’ gained an LSD option back, not sure what changed there. Possible it isn’t present on LSD equipped vehicles. 4WD Braking bias activates as soon as you put it in 4H or 4L. 4WD braking bias and traction control are two different things, but functions of each other.

Last edited:

FX4ord

Reaction score

Yes I'm aware but given the suspension and 4WD system similarity I'd expect similar performance from a 17. Drive modes and the differential are the only differences to my knowledge..

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm aware but given the suspension and 4WD system similarity I'd expect similar performance from a 17. Drive modes and the differential are the only differences to my knowledge..

17’ will have more wheel articulation which helps off road performance. 18’ has good approach angle.... yada yada. They are similar.

FX4ord

Reaction score
17’ will have more wheel articulation which helps off road performance. 18’ has good approach angle.... yada yada. They are similar.

I'm almost positive drive modes won't be retrofitted to a 3rd gen but that would be nice. I've read a lot about the Nanny's crippling the vehicles and making them get stuck.. haven't heard anything definitive though, and I'm mostly talking about mudding as there are no rocks to climb in the mid South..

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I select sport mode the Expy goes to 4x4 auto. Is that ok even on dry pavement? Can I select 4x4 auto on wet roads or dry roads without fear of damage to xfer case? Are these newer 4x4s sorta like all wheel drive so it doesn’t matter, even if you are in dry pavement? I have an old school 4x4 brain.......thanks

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I select sport mode the Expy goes to 4x4 auto. Is that ok even on dry pavement? Can I select 4x4 auto on wet roads or dry roads without fear of damage to xfer case? Are these newer 4x4s sorta like all wheel drive so it doesn’t matter, even if you are in dry pavement? I have an old school 4x4 brain.......thanks

The owners manual for my 07’ states 4A is suitable for daily driving conditions (such as dry or wet pavement). Your ok, many people drive in 4A full time actually.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69