Expedition Tires for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fred Moore

Fred Moore

Reaction score
Chuck s
I appreciate the thoughts you are injecting. Regarding the axle, does it matter that the Weight Distribution hitch helps de-load the rear axle?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Chuck S, while there isn’t anything wrong with an LT tire the P rated tires aren’t really the limiting factor....I had 4 BridgeStone LT tires on order and ended up canceling and using 4 Michelin P rated tires. They do fine with the boat in tow.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
A WDH when set up properly will remove weight from the rear axle and distribute it to the front axle and the trailer axle(s) and is the best practice for handling tongue weight. Air bags and gimmicks like Timbren suspension thingies which reduce rear sag do not increase the RAWR (and Timbren does not make that claim). These can make the truck level and disguise an overloaded condition.

The OE P-radials are capable of handling the rated rear axle rating at their specified 35psi tire pressure. (Check the placard in your door jam.) Inflating to 45 or 50 psi stiffens the sidewalls. Only necessary/desirable those few times the trailer is back there.

As noted if you want a truck-like ride every day get the LT tires and run 80psi but your towing capacity remains unchanged.

-- Chuck

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A WDH when set up properly will remove weight from the rear axle and distribute it to the front axle and the trailer axle(s) and is the best practice for handling tongue weight. Air bags and gimmicks like Timbren suspension thingies which reduce rear sag do not increase the RAWR (and Timbren does not make that claim). These can make the truck level and disguise an overloaded condition.

The OE P-radials are capable of handling the rated rear axle rating at their specified 35psi tire pressure. (Check the placard in your door jam.) Inflating to 45 or 50 psi stiffens the sidewalls. Only necessary/desirable those few times the trailer is back there.

As noted if you want a truck-like ride every day get the LT tires and run 80psi but your towing capacity remains unchanged.

-- Chuck

I have Michellan LTX tires, and always inflate to the 35psi even when towing. Is it safe to inflate to 45 or 50psi when towing my rv for long distances? 2000 mile trip this summer, is it safe to have the tires overinflated that long? And should you only do that to the rear tires where the heaviest load is, or all 4 knowing your using a WDH?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Michellan LTX tires, and always inflate to the 35psi even when towing. Is it safe to inflate to 45 or 50psi when towing my rv for long distances? 2000 mile trip this summer, is it safe to have the tires overinflated that long? And should you only do that to the rear tires where the heaviest load is, or all 4 knowing your using a WDH?
Tires are strongest at their highest psi rating. Look on your tire to see what it is. C rated light truck tires are the best riding compromise and still allow more pressure. I can't comment on safety with extended miles with over inflated tires. Everybody in this forum wants to run weaker, flimsier tires for towing but I wouldn't do it with a heavy trailer. LT tires are heavier built and come in C, D, and E rating. Max pressure on the E is 80 lbs, D is 65 lbs, and C is 50 lbs. If I towed a big trailer I would go with C rated LT tires and run them at 50 psi (all day long) and drop them down to 35 psi for normal driving. LT tires will give better trailer control and more peace of mind also. I always run E rated tires on my 8,000 pound Excursion at 60 lbs and some people run them at up to 80 lbs which they can easily handle constantly but no such luck with flimsy P rated tires.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Tires are not "over-inflated" as long as their cold tire pressure is at or below the Max on the sidewall. Pretty sure the P-metrics on mine have 50psi (52psi?) there.

One can always kill a fly with a hammer -- or run LT tires on a SUV.

"Flimsy tires?" o_O

-- Chuck

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tires are not "over-inflated" as long as their cold tire pressure is at or below the Max on the sidewall. Pretty sure the P-metrics on mine have 50psi (52psi?) there.

"Flimsy tires?" o_O

-- Chuck

For short trips high inflation per sidewall maximum is ok but my tires on my 2007 were worn down in the middle from over-inflation. I replaced those old Michelin LTX M/S tired with brand new ones because they still rode nice......low and behold the tire shop over inflated them to 50 PSI and I had to air down the new tires to avoid excess wear.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

"Flimsy tires?" o_O

-- Chuck

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

"Flimsy tires?" o_O

-- Chuck
No, max pressure is 35 psi and up to 44 psi MAX on some of the higher priced ones. So the most PSI you can get on any P rated tire is 44 psi. They are car tires stretched to the max on SUV's and not for an added heavy trailer. Yes flimsy