Expedition Tires for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires are not "over-inflated" as long as their cold tire pressure is at or below the Max on the sidewall. Pretty sure the P-metrics on mine have 50psi (52psi?) there.

One can always kill a fly with a hammer -- or run LT tires on a SUV.

"Flimsy tires?" o_O

-- Chuck
Yes :emotions34: 35 max and some extra load ones go to 44 PSI. The best riding LT tire is 50 max (what the trailer people need.)

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Nope. Maximum tire pressure on my P-metric tires is 51psi. GAWR is handled at 35psi with these tires. Since the tires are also rated at 2756 pounds each (5512 for the pair) they can easily handle the GAWR of 4300 pounds noted earlier.

The truck and these tires are fine for towing.

IMG_5558[1].JPG
IMG_5560[1].JPG

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I was towing on a regular basis I would have gotten LT type of tires. But for 2-3 camping trips per year the P-rated tires are just fine. That's with a 30' camper at 7,000 pounds with a WDH hitch and the 22" tire setup. I pump them up to about 45 psi when towing. Well within the Ford specs. To the OP - check the tires your trailer came with from the factory. Likely Chinese-made junk tires. That is your weak link in the overall setup. Invest in some Goodyear trailer tires for peace of mind. Good luck!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. Maximum tire pressure on my P-metric tires is 51psi. GAWR is handled at 35psi with these tires. Since the tires are also rated at 2756 pounds each (5512 for the pair) they can easily handle the GAWR of 4300 pounds noted earlier.

The truck and these tires are fine for towing.

View attachment 34369
View attachment 34370
IDK why those are 51 (look it up) but they are still car tires. Are you sure those aren't LT tires?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Photo is minutes old. They're P-metric tires that came on my new '17 Expedition 2 years ago. Similar tires were on my '07 Expedition. That's what comes on these trucks.

Added: Just walked down the garage and checked: The Maximum tire pressure on the tires on my lil' Honda S2000 is the same: 51psi. No one would mistake either the car for a truck or tires for a light truck tires. These are, of course, flimsy P-metric tires (255R40/17). :)

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fred Moore

Fred Moore

Reaction score
B-McD,
I echo your comment about the junk Chinese tires. After 2 blow-outs on the first trip with our New-To-Us RV, I replaced all 5 tires with Goodyear Endurance and upped the load range from C to D. I'm also doing 2 things that the previous owner (who otherwise took phenomenal care of the trailer) did not do--the tires no longer rest on the ground and are covered.

It is with concern for similar tire issues that I initiated this thread. ALL the time spent fomenting comments are greatly appreciated.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
You guys need to be listening to 07navi. If you've ever towed a trailer in a little bit of wind on the highway or gotten some trailer wobble from a tractor trailer passing etc., you'd understand what it means to need a good side wall. I would be towing with E rated if I could, but they don't make them for 22" wheels. It's not just about the tire weight rating. It's about the sidewall ply that helps stop sway.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys need to be listening to 07navi. If you've ever towed a trailer in a little bit of wind on the highway or gotten some trailer wobble from a tractor trailer passing etc., you'd understand what it means to need a good side wall. I would be towing with E rated if I could, but they don't make them for 22" wheels. It's not just about the tire weight rating. It's about the sidewall ply that helps stop sway.
Exactly, if I used P rated tires instead of E rated light truck tires on my 8,000 pound Excursion it would be squirming all over the road. Those LT tires are heavier duty all around.