Expediton Vs. 23 Yukon Denali Ultimate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get what you are saying on getting worried about quality. If you go by these forums it feels like every Expedition is going to have major issues but that’s just what surfaces here. There are tens of thousands Expy owners that have zero issues and love their vehicles. They just aren’t posting them on here. If you want to judge reliability you need to start somewhere other than here for research. The Ford ecoboost is a very reliable motor and the transmissions are the same. I had a 2014 Taurus with virtually no issues and now a new 2022 Expy I love.

Not saying don’t do your research, but every manufacturer is going to have some things surface out of hundreds of thousands of vehicles produced.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What kind of long term issues are we talking? A lot of what I’ve seen with the Ford’s have solutions.
Perhaps I'm wrong but It's my understanding that the cam phaser issue is not solved. No solution, just fixing with the same issues down the road.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i am getting my 2nd set of cam phasers. The first set was replaced at 16,500 miles. The 2nd set is being installed at 19,000 miles.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i am getting my 2nd set of cam phasers. The first set was replaced at 16,500 miles. The 2nd set is being installed at 19,000 miles.
Perhaps I'm wrong but It's my understanding that the cam phaser issue is not solved. No solution, just fixing with the same issues down the road.
I believe they have a different design on the cam phasers, but some [dealers] have been putting the original design part on, for whatever reason (ignorance of a different design/part? That’s what they have available? That’s what is available? Deliberately using up the old design?)

On topic, I do like the new GMs, but the IRS at the rear looks odd, to me, when following one. I’m a few years out, I think, on an upgrade/change though (assuming no intolerable issues with the Expedition - a reason I went from a GM to a Ford). I might look at a Rivian - I don’t tow as much as I used to, these days - and will likely get on the electric bandwagon at some point before I die…

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a theory, I think the irs in the gms look so saggy is because gm designed them to add more articulation in the rear and the only way to do so was to lower the rear arms to such a low position.

What made me come up with this theory, the jeep wagoneer. It also has really low arms in tha back.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The cam phasers post 2021 have a new design, the original design was prone to failure. That’s was addressed back in 2021, and doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue was it was with ‘18-‘20 models.

ExpyNole

Reaction score
Just a theory, I think the irs in the gms look so saggy is because gm designed them to add more articulation in the rear and the only way to do so was to lower the rear arms to such a low position.

What made me come up with this theory, the jeep wagoneer. It also has really low arms in tha back.

I thought the GM's are all still live rear axle?

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cam phasers post 2021 have a new design, the original design was prone to failure. That’s was addressed back in 2021, and doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue was it was with ‘18-‘20 models.
Does the repair on the 2018-2020 models get the new design?