EXPY Tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Torque limiting explained by 5 star

DRIVE BY WIRE
The F150 3.5L EB V6 suffers from poor throttle response down low. A custom calibration will have enhanced improvements in better throttle response, step on go pedal, vehicle will respond quicker…this DBW system is a torque driven system, it works by taking a certain amount of torque via engine and wheel and applies it to what the driver foot say it needs; a better way to explain it is its a torque limiter. It only allows so much torque at a given pedal position. Stock tables are conservative and numb at best and that’s why one would feel sometimes a lag or a goofy pedal with DBW systems. For a 3.5L EB V6 this is one of the most critical areas that must be addressed and modified to generate more torque /hp and throttle response. By reworking the OEM strategies makes your 3.5L EB V6 come to life!:33:

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dyno charts from 5 star stock vehicle except for 5 star calibration & E50
Max whp 330 stock---550+ with E50 &calibration (66% increase)
Max whl torque 414 stock---600+ with E50 calibration (45% increase)

e50dyno.stock_.jpg

e50stockvstuned.jpg

e50 tunes available for purchase here: https://5startuning.com/product/2017-2018-f150-3-5l-ecoboost-e50-email-tunes-for-derive-systems-bdx/

e30 tunes available for purchase here: https://5startuning.com/product/2017-2018-f150-3-5l-ecoboost-e30-email-tunes-for-derive-systems-bdx/

September 28th, 2018
SHARE THIS STORY, CHOOSE YOUR PLATFORM!
FacebookTwitterLinkedinRedditGoogle+TumblrPinterest

RELATED POSTS

• 1-5-500x383.jpg

Fastest 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost Last Friday!

Last edited:

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blackscreen67 said:
with the stock internals of the F150 and expy only being rated by for for 570ftlbs, what is they projected trans life expectancy with the added power. Sure the tweak shift points, that won't change the torque rating. Shafts start breaking and gears start slipping.

I thought that comment seemed a hair low, seems like it's rated a lot closer to 600ft/lbs than you originally suggested...unless my calculations are off...590, not 570.

http://www.f150hub.com/trans/10r80.html

Edit...I'd imagine like most things having "rated capacities" usually at least 30% from even approaching utter devestation, a tuned vehicle (or one without tuning or tranny tuning) making occassional passes at wot from a standstill, will likely fair well, with shortened maintenance intervals, rather than give a fairwell.
Slightly related, a huge fella in NJ with a blown Coyote F-150 is running deep into the 10's with corn and stock tranny. Yes the tranny is tuned as well, but I'm almost certain he is North of 550ft/lbs at the wheels.

Last edited:

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5150 pops is right on with his calculations. 800nm is just a hair over 590ft/lbs.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates guys
I agree 800 nm is right a 590 lb ft
Have debated whether to get the 5 star E50 calibration
Problem is would require changing to 93 octane tow/performance calibration when traveling long distances because I do not think ethanol is readily available in many places
Wish it was darn it

Jay Mac

Reaction score
So I have read all 23 pages of this.

I am interested in possibly getting a tune for my new 2018 Expy Limited. But I also have a 2015 F150 2.7 EB that I want tuned.

Who should I go with? 5-star? Livernois? Someone else?

What tuner can I get that could be used to program both? Is that possible?

I am a complete newbie. I've used the OBDII link before to change settings using Forscan, but thats about as much reprogramming I have done in my truck.

Ideally I'd like to buy a tuner that would work with both vehicles to save money. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the tuner "marries" to the vehicle so you can't tune both vehicles with one tuner.

I have a 5-star tune on my 06 F-150 and my 08 Expedition. Had to buy separate tuners for each.

Maybe they have a multiple vehicle option now that I am unaware of.

Big fan of 5-star BTW.