EXPY Tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay Mac

Reaction score
I read somewhere the HP nGuage tuner supports multiple vehicles with more credits. Anyone know about this?

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Call 5 star & ask them
I think the n gauge they offer may support multiple vehicles
Very happy with their 93 octane performance/tow calibration

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have read all 23 pages of this.

I am interested in possibly getting a tune for my new 2018 Expy Limited. But I also have a 2015 F150 2.7 EB that I want tuned.

Who should I go with? 5-star? Livernois? Someone else?

What tuner can I get that could be used to program both? Is that possible?

I am a complete newbie. I've used the OBDII link before to change settings using Forscan, but thats about as much reprogramming I have done in my truck.

Ideally I'd like to buy a tuner that would work with both vehicles to save money. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

You will find, the "same ole" from one tuning shop to the next.
One device married to one vehicle at ONE TIME.

You conceivably could you use one device, BUT you will ONLY have ONE vehicle of YOUR choice tuned, at any given time.

So if, for instance you want the ability to have the luxury of having both vehicles tuned simultaneously, and the option to instantly drive either at your own whim, you will need to buy TWO separate devices.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Mike Wolfe sorry for asking this again if you’ve already answered, but when you have performance / tow tune applied, do you still maintain the smooth shifting or is it more like sport mode?

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Mike Wolfe sorry for asking this again if you’ve already answered, but when you have performance / tow tune applied, do you still maintain the smooth shifting or is it more like sport mode?
WOT Shifting is a bit firmer but even my wife does not find it objectionable
Light throttle shifting is nearly the same as the OEM calibration as far as shift feel
Shifting is also better matched to engine loads as well
Let us know how the tune works for you:burnout:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score

WOT Shifting is a bit firmer but even my wife does not find it objectionable
Light throttle shifting is nearly the same as the OEM calibration as far as shift feel
Shifting is also better matched to engine loads as well
Let us know how the tune works for you:burnout:

Like Mike said, good tuning and shift firmness should match RPM, throttle input, and load %.

The oem tuning for the 10r80 is horribly matched for all settings.

Not saying you want harsh or jerky shifting, but there's a very fine line on soft shifting and weak shifts.

It's important to point out that often trans tuning is an additional cost, and with 5* building it in their price is well justified.

I do think 5* has a great tuning strategy, but my rule of thumb is if I don't have the interest to tear it down of something let's go, it stays stock. Same reason I don't mod my x6m. Half the engine back is in German, and I'm still figuring out this whole English thing.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some thoughts why 5* got so much hp & torque from E30 & E50 calibrations
First of all octane rating from that mix is probably close to 100+ octane
The evaporative cooling characteristics of ethanol probably improves charge air desnity
Apparently the HPFP along with the GDI & Port injectors can supply enough fuel to support those hp & torque figures
Apparently there is adequate flow though the stock intake & exhaust systems to support that much power
Have owned 6 ecoboost vehicles that I have always tuned I am a supporter of recalibration done correctly
I have never encountered any mechanical issues with any of them & the increase in power & trans reprogramming make the vehicle much more pleasurable to drive

Have contacted 5 star to get a quote for my 2018 F150 3.5L ECOBOOST
Would like to use their 93 octane performance/tow & E50 calibrations
Enjoy the improved performance
However I am not a drag racer & maybe someone who uses WOT power continuously could I suppose experience a failure
5* does offer extended warranties for their customers though if someone was concerned about the longevity of their vehicle
I will always leave my vehicles with stock components & just reprogram the PCM & TCM.
While others enjoy replacing the CAC, Intake & Exhaust systems, I am too old to be interested in replacing parts

BTW tried the Hypertech calibrations on my F150
While they help I do not think they are as refined as the 5* calibrations
For someone looking for a relatively mild improvement I guess they (Hypertech) would be ok though

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like Mike said, good tuning and shift firmness should match RPM, throttle input, and load %.

The oem tuning for the 10r80 is horribly matched for all settings.

Not saying you want harsh or jerky shifting, but there's a very fine line on soft shifting and weak shifts.

It's important to point out that often trans tuning is an additional cost, and with 5* building it in their price is well justified.

I do think 5* has a great tuning strategy, but my rule of thumb is if I don't have the interest to tear it down of something let's go, it stays stock. Same reason I don't mod my x6m. Half the engine back is in German, and I'm still figuring out this whole English thing.

Thanks Blackscreen for the positive feedback