Extreme Vibration - Rear Windows Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael D Morris

Reaction score
I was driving about 35 mph yesterday in my 2019 Expy Max and I fully opened the rear windows to get rid of a gasoline odor that I had from a gas can that I was taking home. The front windows were up.

OMG ! the entire vehicle started shaking like a wheel was coming off. If all four windows were down the vibration went away. Has anyone else experienced this? Please try it while you are out and let me know if they all do this. I never heard of a car where you can't put the back windows down w/o the front being open.

houlster

Reaction score
Yes, mine is the same and it is annoying. My 2001 would kinda sorta do the same thing in certain cases, but nothing like Max does. I used to pop the rear side windows to alleviate it in the '01. Just something with the wind rushing past an open window to a sealed chamber. I wish they coulda put in something like a 1-way vent flap in the body somewhere to prevent it.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually vent the sunroof and it helps.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is annoying, mine do it and so does my Explorer. Wonder if it's because the side glass is almost straight up and down.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was driving about 35 mph yesterday in my 2019 Expy Max and I fully opened the rear windows to get rid of a gasoline odor that I had from a gas can that I was taking home. The front windows were up.

OMG ! the entire vehicle started shaking like a wheel was coming off. If all four windows were down the vibration went away. Has anyone else experienced this? Please try it while you are out and let me know if they all do this. I never heard of a car where you can't put the back windows down w/o the front being open.

You can also open the rear body vent windows.

The owner’s manual for my 2015 has a notice about this concern - your manual probably does too.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Why open them fully?! Do you think it makes a difference for venting out the fumes if they're open 100%, versus say, 20%?

On a side note - has anyone driven with the tailgate window open? I had some gas cans in the back the other day and was tempted, but worried it would damage the heated window connector, or worse, shatter the window somehow.