Extreme Vibration - Rear Windows Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's caused by standing waves in the airspace that form at the resonant frequency of the cabin interior geometry. Kind of how a like a pipe organ makes sound. The note (frequency) is determined by the cavity space.
It is caused by a lot of air coming in and none going out. It raises the air pressure and sometimes even makes your ears pop. When the air pressure inside gets greater than the air pressure pushing in it makes the interior air pressure (for lack of a better word) burp out. The burps cause the cavitation. If you crack the front window you give another escape for the inside air pressure without the burps.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've hashed this out before:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would have thought wind buffeting was listening to a parrot head after a Jimmy Buffet concert.

The interaction between the two masses of air produces vortexes that compress and decompress the air, producing the throbbing effect.
umm, isnt that what i said but without the ****** content.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My granddaughter likes to ride in the back with the window down. I can only take it up to about 35mph, then the helicopters arrive :) At that point the windows go back up,

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
It is a design flaw with ALL Ford trucks and SUV’s. So say a buddy of mine who was a plant manager (retired) at the KC plant for many moons.
The designers expected everyone to drive with the climate control system running 100% of the time. (Meaning glass up and either AC or heat working.
In other works they all do it to some degree or another. The only way to “fix” the issue is by trying to find the sweet spot of just how far you can lower the glass, open the rear side windows or sun roof etc.