Farewell To My Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2001 4.6 began knocking a while back, and I just diagnosed it as play in the piston on cylinder 8. I brought the piston to TDC, let off a bit and pushed down into the spark plug hole with an extension and I felt the infamous "knock" play and verified it about 4 more times. I'm sure that this was all due to low oil consumption and not keeping on top of it. No shop wants to fix it, but only swap engines. So if anyone can learn from my mistake, I would say to always keep on top of your oil!

I've decided to sell it, which unfortunately I've poured a lot of money and sweat into the vehicle. Many things are new, and besides that piston wrist pin (or) bearing being shot it would be a long lasting vehicle. Transmission is new, heads are reconditioned, new timing kit, cats are new, pumps are new, hoses, struts, brakes, etc. It's a shame really but I remain positive that I'll get something worth while.

I enjoyed my time on here and I'll come around every now and then to help people.

My question is with all of the new parts and fixes I've done to this vehicle, I'd imagine that it'll be difficult to make a bit of money off of it since the problem it has is so costly?

OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm now looking at a 2005 Eb with 168k miles on it. I searched the forums and saw that someone recommended that you only get one if there's been a new set of phasers and a new timing kit. Wonder if I can get that kind of info from the dealership.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the 2005 5.4 3v out for a test run today and it feels great. No ticking on startup, no leaks and it handles well. Only 1 owner who's taken great care of it. Dipstick oil is clean and everything is functional. I thought to myself if the cams ever were to go out, it should have already happened with 168k miles on it. This may be a winner.

Last edited:

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to take a position that's rare for me, reason. First your truck your money. The one that your looking at has close to 170K on it. this truck could have a shit load of unknown problems. Your old truck has about new or rebuilt everything. You know your truck, every rattle, every sound. You could very well be doing everything to this new truck that you've done to the one you currently own in the next 10,000 miles.
Again, buy a short block, spend a week end and swap them. You'll save a ton of money and aggravation imo.

But, your money, make yourself happy!

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cats are new, pumps are new, hoses, struts, brakes, etc. It's a shame really but I remain positive that I'll get something worth while.

I enjoyed my time on here and I'll come around every now and then to help people.

OK, I'm glad you offered. I have a 2009 EL with 130K on it. Still runs fine. I just discovered my heater hoses are leaking at the joints. I want to replace them and possibly just disconnect the rear heat. I would do this myself. But there are no hose clamps. How are these hoses held together? I just see black bands at the joints.

Lobopup

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your expy. I agree with faster, get a shortblock! Question for y'all. I have a 99' with 178k on it. I need to replace the water pump tube under the intake because of a leak. But it got hot due to low water and now I have a knock. Oil is good and no oil leaks and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the top like a plug or coil issue. It does seem to come from the lower part of the engine. Any thoughts on what it might be? Am I looking at a shortblock too?! Hope not, but, been a great truck for 18 years now.