Farewell To My Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Gross

Reaction score
Agree with those that say keep. I’d go one further, get a long block. Have had too many instances of mixed major components and when something goes wrong and you try for warranty, it was the other parts that did it, not theirs.

Bilsto

Reaction score
Sad to hear this. I keep wondering how long my engine's gonna last. I've got 253,000 on my 4.6. Everything on the truck is in fantastic condition, even a new trans. I keep wondering if it would be worthwhile, when the engine quits, to just put a new one in. It would probably be cheaper than buying a nice, comparable SUV or truck. Haven't worked this one out yet.

Good luck with your new truck!

proftomda

Reaction score
My advice. I’m the original owner of a 2001 4.6 Expo but I maintain many cars as a ASE tech, including my sons F150 with the 3 valve 5.4. In my opinion, the 2 valve 4.6 is a far superior, simpler and much more durable engine than the 3 valve 5.4. My 2001 4.6 is untouched internally at 250,000 miles but I have partially rebuilt my sons 3 valve twice and it only has 140,000 miles. Keep what you got, Ford made them better back then. Yes, you do have to watch that oil level closely.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I had a look around and found this. Comes with the heads. https://www.powertrainproducts.net/...przZcWjqxmvS2P5jqIrTWeECmbJvoGnkaAgYREALw_wcB

I've used Powertain before when purchasing my transmission so I know they're good.
Hmmm I sorta thought the price is a bit strong but it's been a lot of years since I bought one. Having said that given today's prices, it's a good deal. I'd grab the install package as well. Will save you a bunch of messing around. Don't forget to pre lube it.
Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out.

Bilsto

Reaction score
Here's a cringeworthy story from when I got mine. I got it from my son-in-law in 2016. Seemed a little sluggish. I changed the oil right away. On the oil filter, the year was handwritten with a marker... 2012. I was pissed. Fortunately over the course of countless oil changes, the performance has gotten better and the oil comes out cleaner when I change it. But, 2012 - 2016... Oy.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a cringeworthy story from when I got mine. I got it from my son-in-law in 2016. Seemed a little sluggish. I changed the oil right away. On the oil filter, the year was handwritten with a marker... 2012. I was pissed. Fortunately over the course of countless oil changes, the performance has gotten better and the oil comes out cleaner when I change it. But, 2012 - 2016... Oy.
Hopefully he only drove it 6K miles in those 4 years!

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, every time I think about selling it, I need it for something. So, I guess I'll just keep it. I did some negotiating with the insurance co. and got some more discounts.