feels like a slipping during turning on black top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bojaz01

Reaction score
This is hard to explain....i have a 99 with a4wd, when slowly turning while on blacktop (drive throughs etc.) there is a wierd slipping feeling, nothing when going straight or turing at regular speeds....Is this normal for the awd, a limited slip diff............it doesnt clank or sound like grinding, it feels normal but ive never driven something with awd.....any thoughts?

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if its normal our not but mine does it also when I make a sharp turn like turning into my driveway. I just put new tires on mine and I just chalked it up to the tires. I see no issues with the front axles or boots. Mine is not bad so until or unless it gets worse Im not going to worry about it.

OP
OP
bojaz01

bojaz01

Reaction score
yeah, i did som research on this after the post.....frm what ive found its normal.....can happen more often if the front and back tires are even as little as 1/4" off being the same exact size after wearing down.....The thread i found said that its best to replace all 4 tires at the same time to help avoid it.......

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
bojaz01, yes, this is normal. it is your limited slip engaging. if you coast some, you will feel it ease up some. The harder you get on the gas, the worse it will get. You may find that it will get a little better if you have the rear differential full of fluid and you have the proper amount of friction modifier in the rear axle too.

OP
OP
bojaz01

bojaz01

Reaction score
thanks thermo.......ill be checking those fluids this weekend.....thats if it cools down some 101 today