FINALLY!!! K&N dyno sheet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been asking this question literally since the dawn of time. Really. I was there at the big bang and the first thing that popped in my head was "Are CAI claims real, or ********?"

after all that time, K&N came across. http://kandn.com/dynocharts/57-2538_dyno.pdf

so the answer is yes, they work. and it doesn't matter. you can get close to 10 horsepower and 10 foot pounds as you get close to 4000 RPM. because I spend so much time at 4000 RPM, on and off road. at around 2000 RPM, not so much.

what a crock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just as suspected, right?

yes and no. I never actually suspected it, but I was growing increasingly doubtful because I could not get any actual numbers from anybody. I've seen several posts that were obvious wishful thinking at best and outright ******** at worst - "i got 20 horsepower and 3 more mpg with my CAI!" ....

i will say that, having seen the dyno results, now i think it should have been obvious that any actual improvement was not going to be at lower RPM.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back in the Fox Mustang era, you could feel the difference from a stock airbox to a K&N/Flowmaster setup...

I put a K&N on my 06 Explorer a coupla years ago, made a bit of difference.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
same on my 04...increased mpg and throttle response...but i see they used a 4.6...i have 5.4...another difference factor

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wel
I hate to say it, but is anyone going to really notice an extra 10hp in a bus as heavy as the expedition? I keep hearing the filters don't filter as well as a stock air filter so more engine wear all for 10hp!! Seems like a waste of money to me.. :(

Well, yeah, that was kinda my point. I get that if power is the object, then every little bit can help, but really, I’m not drag racing this thing. It’s a DD that I want to be able to drive offroad as necessary. I’m not going to be spending a lot of time at 4000 rpm plus.
Now, if it was delivering that extra torque at 2500 rpm, that’d be useful.

as to the air filter, where did you hear that? I did a lot of research on this thing; everything I've read says the air filter works fine; much better than the OEM. There can be issues with the oiling, but I don't bother. It's not going to be worse than the OEM - from what I've read not only does it filter better, it is less restrictive. I'm not worried about increased engine wear.

Last edited: