first get h/o alt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
high guys. I'm looking for info on high amp alts. I can find them online all over but I would like to hear from people who have run them. I am in the beginning stages of planning a large system and I know I will need to upgrade. Just with the 2 off-road lights and the small system I have now my lights dim at idle.

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh I also have a 12000 lb winch waiting to go on and eventually more off-road lights just thought I would say that I plan on things like that

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is one thing to have a high amp alternator, it is another thing to calculate the current load and size the system to it.

How long is the load going to be on the system and what is the current draw? You will also probably need to increase the reserve capacity of the battery system/bank and may want to take a look at the 8D battery size for an isolated battery. Be warned, those suckers are HEAVY.

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heavy doesn't matter. I run with steal and tool boxes all the time. The subs I got are 70 lbs.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What subs are u planning to run? I have a h/o...2 in fact but have yet to install the 2nd alt...mine are 300a one is stinger and don't remember the brand of the 2nd...u definitely need one and with the subs sounding like u will run 5k rms or more will need a good power supply so extra batteries...I was looking at XS Power but have seen and read a lot of information on them compared to North Star batteries...im going northstar...a little more expensive but out performs any battery on the market and is built/own in U.S.

Im building up to 8K-Watts for my truck...2-18s PSI Audio stage 3 performance subs and 2 skar 4500's...running 2 alts and haven't decided on which northstar batts yet...3 sets of components in each door...monitors...lights...im already lit up inside and out and wheels...

Big 3 upgrade and alt has me sitting good currently but the game changer makeover will happen next year

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contact iraggi on facebook for alt...equally as good as stinger but less...and he'll paint it if u want

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like a sweet set up. Well i just picked up two sundown zv4 15s for 300$. One definitely needs a recone and the other I'm not so sure. The guy I got them from is convinced that they were dual 2ohm subs but the one that I'm not sure about reads about one on both coils pretty stable... But I don't want to have a bank of bats and more than one alt In my rig. I go offroading and have plans to lift it more and don't want to loose all my cargo area or money, so I think I am going to run just one of these at maybe 2000 watts at the most. and sell the other. i havnt contacted any alt company yet. but on the iraggi web site it 460$ without shipping or being able to pick the color. for only a 260 amp. I'm not against paying for quality but that is real expensive. But they do give a limited lifetime warranty.