Fix-A-Flat- bogus or useful?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this isn't really an issue specifically for Expys but where else can I can get some informed information?

My '17 Expy with 18k on the clock has a tire that picked up a nail in the shoulder of the tire. The shop says it's too close to the sidewall to plug so a new tire is needed- something I am loath to do with such low mileage on said tire.

A can of Fix-A-Flat is maybe 15 bucks. It says its good for 100 miles or so. But I have heard it actually works well.

Any first hand experiences out there with this product?

thanks, Peter

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Would be curious to see a pic of the tire and where the puncture is.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this isn't really an issue specifically for Expys but where else can I can get some informed information?

My '17 Expy with 18k on the clock has a tire that picked up a nail in the shoulder of the tire. The shop says it's too close to the sidewall to plug so a new tire is needed- something I am loath to do with such low mileage on said tire.

A can of Fix-A-Flat is maybe 15 bucks. It says its good for 100 miles or so. But I have heard it actually works well.

thanks, Peter
Plug it yourself.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score

thanks, Peter

Few things:
1. Fix a flat throws the balance off of a tire.
2. It’s def not long term.
3. Find a diff tire shop and see if they’ll fix it safely.
4. Remember a blown tire at speed can cost way more than just a new tire. Injury, damage, and injury/damage to others. If a tire shop says replace and another backs them up...then on behalf of other drivers and wanting you to be safe too...get a new tire.
My two cents on sale for a penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a plug will not be safe because the puncture is too close to the sidewall, then the only option would be to dismount the tire from the rim and have it patched / vulcanized from the inside.

Even then, this might not be a safer solution depending on where exactly the damage is located. Anything which compromises the sidewall integrity essentially spells "new tire", as per what tire shops have told me in the past. This is especially important if you have some sort of econo-brand tires (Walmart brand, etc), as they don't hold up as well as Goodyear, Michelin, or Bridgestone. I've seen the el cheapo brands fail in funky ways in the past, well before the premium name brands.

Stay away from tire plugs in a can, they are a waste of money and create an awful mess. It's like trying to fix your tire with runny liquid bubble gum!

You might be able to get a new-ish tire from a scrap yard or off craigslist/kijiji for cheap, so that might be the best solution in your case.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd listen to your shop, if you trust them. I would not run a sidewall repair unless I never got up to highway speeds and beyond, and even then, what's the hassle of not trusting your ride, and having that eventual flat worth?? Pretty good chance it won't be in your driveway...

Just my $.02

Plati

Reaction score

thanks, Peter
Maybe you could have it fixed … and use it as the spare, putting current spare into service?