Fix-A-Flat- bogus or useful?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Understood, new tire it is.

Two gallons of liquid makes me think of years ago when we put anti-freeze in the tires of a small tractor with the hope of increasing weight/traction in icy conditions. Even with chains there were times traction was zero on ice.

In any event, thanks for the comments and a new tire it will be.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
granted, my eyes are not what they used to be, but that does not look like a sidewall problem to me. the nail is near the edge of the tread, but it is still in the tread, not the sidewall.
jg

You can’t effectively put a patch over a sharply curved surface on the inside of the tire. (And plugs are not considered reliable enough).
It’s time for a new one unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Agreed. Any patch is going to lap over onto the sidewall, and there’s just too much flex there for it to hold. Even a plug likely wouldn’t hold there.

I will second what several others have said: troll craigslist, Facebook, u-pull-its, etc. and find a used tire with similar tread. Ebay will even give you quite a few options, and you can be sure to match tire brand more quickly.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
granted, my eyes are not what they used to be, but that does not look like a sidewall problem to me. the nail is near the edge of the tread, but it is still in the tread, not the sidewall.
jg
The problem is with the steel belts near the shoulder. They flex a lot more than the belt in the "contact patch", and can move inside the carcass and cause severe tire damage...like a blowout at highway speeds.

Snidley53

Reaction score
I just went through what you are asking about, took the vehicle to a couple of different shops and got the same response. Since I tow and want to have peace of mind. I replaced two tires and kept the good one as a spare.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smart/best thing to do IMO...I'm not a fan of worrying about stuff I can fix or get fixed...

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Understood, new tire it is.

Two gallons of liquid makes me think of years ago when we put anti-freeze in the tires of a small tractor with the hope of increasing weight/traction in icy conditions. Even with chains there were times traction was zero on ice.

In any event, thanks for the comments and a new tire it will be.

Water in large tractor tires reduces bounce, and lowers the center of gravity. However if it freezes it isn’t great, so in colder areas they also add antifreeze.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a thought. 18,000 miles total on odometer? When in the model cycle was it purchased? I had a tire issue right after I bought my CPO and Ford covered it under the 3 year/36,000 miles roadside/hazard warranty.

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a '17 that sat on the lot for a year and purchased new with about 40 miles on the clock, still with full warranty.