Fix or leave it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why don't you just keep it, have it repaired and use it as a Sunday car? I think it's worth keeping since you maintained it well, parts in your area is easily obtainable, it is a reliable truck. Just find the extra budget for another vehicle that's not so expensive to be your service vehicle.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
With 212,000 miles, I would drive it until it's toast. I'd do mechanical work but I wouldn't put $2,000 into the body. There's probably more rust elsewhere and more stuff waiting to break. Has the spare tire cable broke yet and left your spare on the interstate? Go check.

It's on the verge of The Big One, and you're near the time for a head gasket or a timing chain or a transmission. It has earned its retirement. Save up for something newer. Nothing lasts forever, my friend. Especially trucks.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep it, fix it.

Let’s say you drop 2K on it now.
And have to drop 4K on it in 8 months (not jinxing you)...
You still have only spent 6K on a vehicle that can last you a long time.

No payments is a good thing.
Great trucks.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
It’s all a mental merry-go-round.

This is just such a good truck.

Yeah, there’s rust underneath on the frame and body/floors and under the running boards.

Damn salt from Chicago.

I’ve decided to keep running her for work till summer then decide what to do.

They just don’t make ‘em like this anymore.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Machete, buy a plane ticket to Atlanta. Buy you a rust free 1st generation Expo truck here (They are plentiful) for 2 grand or less off Craigslist and drive it back to the great state of Illinois. Use your truck for a parts truck. Spent few months in Illinois, when I was a young pup, at Chanute AFB near Rantoul. I sold a rust free 67 Plymouth Belvedere coupe, I had brought there from Georgia when I left back in the 80's.

If your in Florida same rust problem along the coast. Maybe worse. Hey, flights are cheap to the Big A from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Hey Machete, buy a plane ticket to Atlanta. Buy you a rust free 1st generation Expo truck here (They are plentiful) for 2 grand or less off Craigslist and drive it back to the great state of Illinois. Use your truck for a parts truck. Spent few months in Illinois, when I was a young pup, at Chanute AFB near Rantoul. I sold a rust free 67 Plymouth Belvedere coupe, I had brought there from Georgia when I left back in the 80's.

If your in Florida same rust problem along the coast. Maybe worse. Hey, flights are cheap to the Big A from there.

Im looking into diesel. I don’t want to buy something I need to replace in a few years. I like to buy and keep 10+ years minimum.
Diesel seems to be efficient on the highway and they look like they retain value well.

My ole gal has been great but she’s not worth much monetarily.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Machete - how bad is the rust?
Can you get to any good metal?
POR is an outstanding product - used to use I when I restored mustangs.

I seem to recall from your other posts that you are pretty proficient DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire