Fix swirl marks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they use the CC to pretreat and then salt/sand when it starts coming down.

I hope you’re wrong and it’s only salt brine they are putting down. Calcium chloride is some nasty crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope you’re wrong and it’s only salt brine they are putting down. Calcium chloride is some nasty crap.

Unfortunately yes. Magnesium chloride, brine, rock salt and sand as well.

stilbo

Reaction score
Having worked in a body shop...
3M “Glazing Compound” for “Dark Finishes” and a black foam pad on an 8” buffer on low speed will eliminate swirl marks on black finishes.
Follow up with a good high quality wax.
As large as an Expy is, you might want to have a pro do it.. in a body shop. I’ve never been too impressed by “detail shops”.
And
Stay away from car washes unless they’re touch less.
And try to park in shady areas so the wax lasts.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes i bought a black car and it shows swirl marks from the car wash brillo pads. The dealer must have washed it a bunch of times because when I bought it, it had 300 miles already and showed a lot of swirl marks. I tried using the touchless wash but sometimes it was so dirty I had to take it through the regular one. I fully expected it to show them with it being black and was going to have them taken out every so often. Did anybody just buy their own supplies and polish their own or easier to just pay someone? If so what supplies are the best? Or what would it cost if I just pay someone roughly? Thanks

If you have the time, detailing is not hard: There are a bunch of youtube channels on how to do it... And getting pro equipment costs about as much as a tire does...

fothco

Reaction score
I use zymol for fine scratches . Costly but gentle on the finish .

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
3M imperial hand glaze, works well on black and swirl marks. I did mine by hand, after noticing swirls all over my new 2011(red) Mustang GT. Always take delivery of a new car under artificial lights. I took delivery of mine in the service bay. The next day, I pulled into a parking lot and nearly lost my mind. There were swirls up and down both sides. The jackwagon salesman 'wiped' it down, in an effort to hurry and get me my car quicker. The dealer offered to let there lot boy detail and buff it. I refused and tried the 3M hand glaze. It took 2 coats and a lot of patients, but fixed 95%(you must keep it waxed). The front fender had to buffed by the body shop. I was taught a big lesson after that one. If I noticed prior to taking it, I could of refused and got another car. Harley Davidson gloss spray is nice, for black touch ups.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having worked in a body shop...
3M “Glazing Compound” for “Dark Finishes” and a black foam pad on an 8” buffer on low speed will eliminate swirl marks on black finishes.
Follow up with a good high quality wax.
As large as an Expy is, you might want to have a pro do it.. in a body shop. I’ve never been too impressed by “detail shops”.
And
Stay away from car washes unless they’re touch less.
And try to park in shady areas so the wax lasts.
I also use the black foam pads on a buffer but I use Pro brand ultimate cutter for paint correction and then I use Zymol often just by hand for the top polish and then go over with wax to protect.

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes. Magnesium chloride, brine, rock salt and sand as well.

Damn, you sure you don’t live in Minnesota? That’s what they use up there too.