Ford and Corrosion Control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Have you seen my thread on this Forum titled "WNY Rust"? I've been studying and comparing rust (present and future) on my 2003 & 2014 Expys this year. The goal is to avoid <on my 2014> what happened <on my 2003>.

I've taken some preemptive steps on the 2014 based on what I see on the 2003. Examples are 1)flushing rocker panels 2)Krown undercoating (oil'ish) 3)cleaning. I've also spent a LOT of time under both examining and thinking about whats going on down there. I also am somewhat dismayed about some design issues and the lack of a durable "coating" down there. I wish the bottom was painted as well as the upper exterior (pipe dream). I've also observed , for example , the muffler on the 2014 has more surface rust than the muffler on the 2003 ... which means they used cheaper alloys.

Heres a picture of my 2003 rocker just ahead of a rear wheel. Its gone as is a lot of the rest of it. See the hole at bottom right. thats where salt brine enters the rocker panel cavity and SITS. $hitty design IMHO. No real surprise that rots away. I'm flushing that and applying my own oil based surface protectant on the 2014 to fight back on the inevitability.
IMG_0155.JPG

I can say with confidence that the rust that forms on the inside rocker panel cavity does not help keep the entire sheet metal rocker panel from rusting to oblivion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LRNAD90

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like I said, do the research....but you are very, very wrong in your suppositions. I have a section of iron pipe that was installed over 120 years ago in a very famous DC building. It remained in use for the entire 120+ years that it was installed. It's still a viable piece of pipe but how could that be based on what you said??

Iron oxide forms a protective coating which in turn prevents/slows way down, further oxidation.

I expect people looking for answers not to be lazy....use your computer for more than clicking a Google result!

jeff

Oh, you are clearly too smart for me..

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kind of a weird coincidence but just driving home from a work site ... we noticed bridges rusting. One guy starts talking about how they now leave surfaces to rust (vs painting new) and it actually protects the metal. He did add thought they they come back after a few years and put epoxy paint on them. Somehow the combination of the rusted surface and the epoxy paint is the most durable "coating" for the base metal, was the storyline.

Whether its all true or if thats what Jeff was referring to is up for debate, but it was still an interesting coincidence.

I used to work in a metal finishing shop and one finish I did was called black oxide. Gun barrel blue'ing is a version of that. Its basically a controlled rust that forms a "coating" that protects the base metal. That also requires oiling maintenance though, right?

The New River bridge in West Virginia is made from COR-TEN steel, which appears that it is rusting.

Some information: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford paintwork sucks, maybe its a blessing they didnt try to paint it

I thought it was just barebones SSV paintjob issues with my '09 park ranger truck.... but my '12 Lincoln Navigator L has the same orange peel texture BS.

Dont have any aluminium bubbling issues on either truck though, maybe it's a California climate thing?

You COULD just spray the bottom with bedliner if you so wanted

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS on the bright side, an Expedition will be MUCH more reliable than an X5

Mr Shank

Reaction score
I've owned... a few... BMWs over the years. One of the things that BMW does to minimize rust is plastic sheeting on the underside. My '08 535xit, '03 540iT, and '03 M5 all had this. Before we bought our second Expedition ('07 EL Limited) we looked at a few X5 5.0's, and they had this as well.

Ford does not, that I've seen. That said, we put nearly 100K miles on the '09 Limited that we had, and the only reason we don't have it is because someone driving a crown vic ran a red light and t-boned it.

It's going to be different than the X5 that you're used to, but as much as I loved my 535, I don't know that I'll get another one.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the plastic and wax (???) coated paperboard found under my E60, which is identical to the stuff under under my Fusion bumper to bumper - Noise/Vibration/Harshness control with a little improved aerodynamics and maybe increased MPG thrown in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev