Ford back with big blocks and pushrods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greg, they still offer the 5.0 Coyote motor for the 2019 F150. Just not the same platform expedition. I can't see the reason, because it should have all the wiring and computer mounts and changes needed as the F150. To me, it makes no sense not to offer it. True it's down a little on horsepower and torque vs the twin turbo six, but very little. The 5.0 puts out 390 horses, only the Platinum six, puts out 10 more .I guess Ford had their reasons, just can't see how difficult it is to offer the same option as their pickup. The biggest difference is the twin turbo six Trump's the v8's torque by 80 pounds. Still consumers should have the choice. Not everybody needs to tow a 8,000 pound trailer. If their like me, they rairly have even a second passenger. Hauling around 6 porky friends only adds 2400 pounds, 300 each if your doing the math , plenty of torque in the 302 to get their fat ***** to the bar and back. Even if the bar is over a grade like here in my Pacifica.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Fuel economy and performance. The 3.5 is better engine for both towing and fuel economy at any altitude. Because the Expedition is primarily a consumer vehicle and not for dual work/personal use like the F150, it makes sense to limit the powertrain options to the one that will meet the needs of most consumers. There's a cost associated with adding vehicle options, including powertain options, so it's likely the bean counters did the math and figured Ford wouldn't lose many sales by not offering the Coyote engine. Especially since the Ecoboost is a better all around performer. Also, a lot of vehicles in this price class are leased, and are way out of warranty before anything breaks, so durability wasn't a concern. Most vehicles in this class don't offer powertrain options, with the exception of the GM vehicles offering the 6.2 as a premium trim upgrade.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh I wouldn’t say the ecoboost is better all around than the Coyote. The newer 5.0 excels in top end power where the ecoboost runs out of breath. The 5.0 also gets better fuel economy than the ecoboost in every towing test I’ve seen.

I do agree with your points though, the 5.0 is a revver for sure. The logic of engine placement in the expy is good also. Same reason ford only put the 5.4 Triton in the Expedition. Easier to supply one that did it all, rather than add the smaller 4.6.

Still could add options in the future, and it would be nice. Never rule it out. I’d by a 5.0 expy. The 5.0 toes nicely with 3.73s and is great empty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my dad decided he’s going to order a 2020 F-250 Lariat with the 7.3L V8.....should be interesting.

Last edited:

Geargambler

Reaction score
It has always been a popular swap to take a truck engine and drop it in a car (thinking the old 351 windsors into mustangs). I've even seen a few 3.5L twin turbo mustang swaps. That 7.3 looks huge. I wonder...

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has always been a popular swap to take a truck engine and drop it in a car (thinking the old 351 windsors into mustangs). I've even seen a few 3.5L twin turbo mustang swaps. That 7.3 looks huge. I wonder...

The sheer weight difference I assume is significant. Would the 7.3 HP/TQ overcome it?

There is something to be said for high power lighter motors. I think it was consumer reports or motortrend that showed an unloaded F-150 with a 2.7L Turbo was faster 0-60 than the 3.5L turbo. Plus got better gas mileage. They recommended it for that and it's reduced MSRP unless you had to tow above its weight rating.

Found it.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/2015-ford-f-150-ecoboost-engine-shootout/index.htm

From the article:
The performance differences aren’t huge, and both trucks are very capable—significantly more so than the last-generation F-150. In the 0-to-60 mph sprint, the new 2.7 V6 clocked in at 7 seconds flat, while the 3.5-liter took 7.2 seconds. In contrast, our last-generation F-150, which weighed 700 pounds more with a beefy 5.0-liter V8, took 7.8 seconds to hit 60 mph.

In our fuel-economy tests the turbo-2.7 averaged 17 mpg overall, versus 16 mpg for the turbo-3.5. The one notable plus for the larger engine is in its rated towing capacity, 10,700 pounds, versus the smaller turbo’s 7,600 pounds. But that’s still plenty of oomph to tow a 25-foot Chris Craft power boat, for instance.

The little-turbo-that-can also knocks off the competitions' bigger engines in our acceleration tests. The 2.7 is quicker than both the Chevrolet Silverado V8 (7.5 seconds) and Ram V8 (7.1 seconds). Only the V8-powered Toyota Tundra was quicker, at 6.7 seconds to 60 mph, the last time we tested one. And aside from the Ram 1500 diesel, which averaged 20 mpg, the 2.7-liter F-150 is the only full-sized pickup that managed 17 mpg in our tests, same as the smaller Toyota Tacoma. The Silverado 1500, meanwhile, got 16 mpg

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Weight matters. Ask anyone that drag races. They try to shed pounds however they can!

You are correct plus gearing. I read a little further in the article:

How did Ford’s smaller engine manage this trick? At least part of the explanation lies in its shorter standard rear-axle ratio, 3.55 versus 3.31 in the turbo 3.5. As that number gets higher it brings better acceleration and towing but worse fuel economy. So in return for endowing the smaller engine with more grunt at the rear wheels, Ford scraped off some but not all of its potential fuel savings.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d rather have extra weight and beefier chassis than lighter for a truck. I’m not trying to be fastest or most agile.

Those 2.7L F-150s are for commuters. The 2.7 comes with the thinner frame, smaller axle, etc. As soon as you option the 5.0 you get the bigger 9.75” axle and optional thicker gauge frame. Neither of which are available on the 2.7, which is why on paper the 2.7 outspeeds the 5.0 and 3.5 Eco.....the reality is the 5.0 and 3.5 are much more capable engines.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think John Force is the only drag racer that pushes his race suit to the max. But at 69 years old, I guess he earned those extra 15 or so pounds. With his car putting out 10,000 horsepower, I don't 15 pounds is going to slow him down much. Ford makes a 3.7 non turbo, wonder when their going to use the bigger motor for their twin turbo. Nissan did that with their non turbo 350Z, it morphed into the faster 370Z.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk