Front receiver hitch install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a thread of a front hitch installed on a 3rd gen, but haven't seen any yet for the 4th gen. The front of the Expedition frame is the same as the front of the F150 frames, so bolting to the frame as shown in the link you provided shouldn't be an issue. The only potential wild card is the dimensions on the Expedition front bumper/facia and what trimming may be required. Perhaps you could be the first to give it a try and let us know how it goes.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/front-hitch.38737/#post-338336

Last edited:

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I installed a Curt front receiver hitch on my Plat Max right after I took delivery. I use it for a front bicycle carrier. No problems at all with the installation other than having to deal with the weight of the hitch while I installed it by myself.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I installed a Curt front receiver hitch on my Plat Max right after I took delivery. I use it for a front bicycle carrier. No problems at all with the installation other than having to deal with the weight of the hitch while I installed it by myself.

Any chance you could post a couple of photos? Curious what trimming was required on the air dam, etc.

doktoroktobor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fascinating! never thought of a front hitch. was about to buy a Thule 4 bike carrier for the rear. i like the idea of seeing the bikes while driving/parking, and not getting in the way of the trunk.

what are the ad/dis-advantages front vs rear? are any of the collision sensors or adaptive cruise sensors screwed up more by going front mount?

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fascinating! never thought of a front hitch. was about to buy a Thule 4 bike carrier for the rear. i like the idea of seeing the bikes while driving/parking, and not getting in the way of the trunk.

what are the ad/dis-advantages front vs rear? are any of the collision sensors or adaptive cruise sensors screwed up more by going front mount?

The main advantage for me is better weight distribution while I’m towing our trailer. Probably the biggest disadvantage is having the bikes out there in front to catch all the rain, bugs, etc., Road spray from traffic ahead, and the constant wind that occasionally blows some Lube from my headset. it does interfere with the front parking sensors so I can just turn them off when the bikes are loaded. I have had no trouble with the adaptive cruise control or front camera. The hood opens with no problems. Also if you drive at night there can be some shadows and interference with the headlights depending on your bicycles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DavidC

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the photos. I'm a huge fan of the front hitch, had them on previous vehicles. But sometimes they can be a bit low so it pays to have a "hitch riser" for things like a bike rack. Or in my case, a motorcycle carrier. I have two bikes so if I need to transport two I have that option.

upload_2019-4-29_16-29-13.png

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With my carrier and bikes, I prefer not to use a riser even though the receiver is low. Using a riser would put the bikes into my line of sight and interfere with seeing traffic. As is, the handlebars are virtually level with the hood.

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
I find that a front hitch is great for positioning trailers into very tight spots. You can also mount a removable winch there which is very useful. I had this setup on my old diesel Suburban 4x4 that I used for lots of off road adventures. Only installed the winch when needed.