Fuel avg MPG sux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Max tow has different gears in the differential ....higher numerical gears make the engine spin faster for a set speed...so it will use more fuel to run the same speed limit.

3.31 gears vs 3.73 will turn less rpm on the freeway by maybe 100 to 200 rpm

You gain more pulling power with the higher gears when towing due to the mechanical advantages
This isn't necessarily true. Yes, the RPM will be higher, but the throttle will not be open as much. It's like rolling downhill with your throttle closed in a low gear. The RPM are up, but the engine isn't really consuming much fuel. Part of the reason for the higher consumption is just more friction in the drivetrain with shorter gears. Under certain conditions, such as towing, you actually can actually get higher mpg using the shorter gear instead of using more boost with a taller gear.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your gas milage will vary based on how you drive.

I barely ever break 2200 RPM city driving.
if you're hitting 3k+ off the line, your fuel economy will suffer.

This is the right answer. For those that want better fuel economy, stay out of boost. it's hard because the turbos can spool very quickly low in the powerband, but under 2,500 RPM is a good compromise. I've gotten 12 mpg highway and I've gotten 22 mpg highway. All dictated by my right foot. In city driving, try coasting often and driving 5 mph below the speed limit to offset the periods where acceleration from a stop is needed.

OP
OP
SyndicateZ

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the right answer. For those that want better fuel economy, stay out of boost. it's hard because the turbos can spool very quickly low in the powerband, but under 2,500 RPM is a good compromise. I've gotten 12 mpg highway and I've gotten 22 mpg highway. All dictated by my right foot. In city driving, try coasting often and driving 5 mph below the speed limit to offset the periods where acceleration from a stop is needed.
Im assuming you meant to type that you are getting 12 mpg CITY. If so thats the same as me. Im feeling better that others are getting 12 MPG on average when driving lightly in the city with no cargo or tow. I also never get past 2k rpm when accelerating from a red light

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's shocking, I'm getting much higher [indicated] MPG in the 2022 Explorer XLT (2.3EcoBoost) loaner, than I see in our Max Ltd.
I've been thinking about buying my mom's 21 Explorer Plat off of her since she never drives it. Not sure how the 3.0TT compares to the 2.3T in efficiency.
The Hybrid Explorer has a 3.3 litre engine plus Hybrid drive. My curiosity was peeked since I figured it would get superior mileage all around (due to the Hybrid setup), let alone be in the same ball park as my Expy. I had it for 2 days and was even able to put on roughly 20 km of pure electric driving and still returned a 12-13L/100km economy.

OP
OP
SyndicateZ

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im just surprised these v6 engines are still only getting 12 mpg while not in boost and light driving only still. Shame on Ford for advertising 17 MPG on the window sticker on average for CITY.

OP
OP
SyndicateZ

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Hybrid Explorer has a 3.3 litre engine plus Hybrid drive. My curiosity was peeked since I figured it would get superior mileage all around (due to the Hybrid setup), let alone be in the same ball park as my Expy. I had it for 2 days and was even able to put on roughly 20 km of pure electric driving and still returned a 12-13L/100km economy.
False advertising by Ford.

OP
OP
SyndicateZ

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 02 Mustang GT gets better gas mileage city And it has 4.10 rear differential gearing.

Raposa

Reaction score
First post!
I took delivery of my new Platinum Max yesterday. Traded my 19' Landbruiser in on it. The plan is to drive to my place in Florida (from central NJ) a week from this Saturday and I'm very interested in the mileage for two big reasons. One, obviously economy and the other is range. I do the 1150 miles in one shot averaging 75mph and am looking for stops around every 500 miles. I could get almost 18 in the LC but the range sucked with the size of the tank plus as nice as the LC was it was not a great long distance,high speed cruiser.

Don't expect mileage new to be as good as it should be until I get some miles on it.

For what its worth I also have an 08 Cayenne S at the house down there that will get 19 highway but its got 180000 miles on it and I just don't trust it for the long trips anymore.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im assuming you meant to type that you are getting 12 mpg CITY. If so thats the same as me. Im feeling better that others are getting 12 MPG on average when driving lightly in the city with no cargo or tow. I also never get past 2k rpm when accelerating from a red light
No, that was highway. I was late and was driving very fast. Mixed driving I average around 16 - 17, but I also have heavier Load E tires.