Fuel System Computer Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever received this error? driving and the fuel gauge drops to E...message center reads 0 miles to empty...regardless of how much fuel is in tank...dealership cant duplicate error reading...or find anything wrong

who knows what????

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might have said Fuel Computer Data Error...one of the 2

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your problem will be in one of four areas:
1) Sensor in fuel tank is faulty
2) Harness is faulty or connector pins have corrosion
3) Gauge is faulty
4) Computer has issues

If you can get the Ford Service Manual for your year it will run you through diagnosis / testing procedures for each part.

I know these are different beasts, but the majority of fuel gauge faults on the buses at work are senders then harness corrosion. Rarely do we have gauge issues.

This isn't directed at you but most customers don't want to pay for diagnostic labor that can run into hours with no guarantee of finding the problem. Therefore dealers never "find" the problem with their quick check. Once you have a complete failure then it is easy to locate the problem.

scrappydoo

Reaction score
I have had an issue with both my 2003 and now my 2008. I fill the tank and the gauge only goes to 3/4 then takes about 1/2 hour to finally reach full. No error messages. The 2003 just started working again on its own. The '08 just started doing this yesterday.

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone find an answer for this? My 2010 does this on a regular basis. I get gas and when there is 3/4 or more, this error will happen to me.

It will beep at me and say --- Miles to E --- It will do this 3-4 times. Sometimes the check engine light comes on after the 4th or 5th time. Turning off the truck will fix it most of the time.

Dealer had read code and replaced the fuel sensor twice. Error still happens. Gauge only goes to E once in a while, not every time. Still under extended warranty but only a few thousand miles left.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone find an answer for this? My 2010 does this on a regular basis. I get gas and when there is 3/4 or more, this error will happen to me.

It will beep at me and say --- Miles to E --- It will do this 3-4 times. Sometimes the check engine light comes on after the 4th or 5th time. Turning off the truck will fix it most of the time.

Dealer had read code and replaced the fuel sensor twice. Error still happens. Gauge only goes to E once in a while, not every time. Still under extended warranty but only a few thousand miles left.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do u have a code

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
12/15/15 - P0460 - replaced fuel sending unit
2/4/16 - Code B1204 found but not able to duplicate
12/20/16 - Code P0460 stored, P0462 present. Fuel sender has erratic operation. Nothing done
10/30/17 - Codes P0462, B1204, P0455 - Fuel sender faulty. Replaced fuel pump assembly and found internal short to ground on fuel sender circuit. Not sure if they replaced the sending unit too.

Got vehicle back on 11/6 and on the 7th/8th the CEL had come back on again with the same issue with the tank. It’s always after I have gotten fuel. I turn the vehicle off when fueling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sub0cool

Reaction score
Rachelsgoldens, did you ever find the problem? I have the same exact issue with my 2010. Dealer says they can’t fix it until it totally breaks.