Fuse to tap dashcam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jeka

Jeka

Reaction score
So my local car audio shop hardwired my dashcam, radar detector, and USB Type C charger in my Expedition on switched fuse #37 (heated steering wheel). All of the hardwire units work great without any issues, however now my steering wheel is intermittent. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't work at all, and sometimes it will work fine initially, then shut off.

Anybody either experienced this before or have any idea what might be causing this?
Disclaimer - I am not a car mechanic, electrical engineer or anything like that - just a weekend enthusiast.
For me it sounds like poor cable connection; or voltage drops - but it’s usually car battery/alternator issue and should affect other systems as well.
I connected my dashcam battery packs to fuse #37 - everything is good for almost two years now. Those battery packs draw more power than any dashcam, radar detector and USB-C 100watt device all together.
So I would say something is not right in your setup. Take it back to the shop.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE:

My dash cam has parking mode so I had to use two fuses -- one for ACC for for BATTery.

I ended up using the #16 (Tailgate Release) for my BATTery and #37 (Heated Steering Wheel) for my ACC power. Everything seems to be working fine after about two days. LOL.

Hope this helps others.

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed a dashcam last night by tapping into the power behind the mirror as detailed in the radar detector forum. I have the ROAV S1 and used this cable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFRWC3X/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_safuEbMKNJ0EX

So far it seems to do the job and was a very easy install. Cant even see it from the drivers seat (blocked by mirror), which was desired.
20200221_152607.jpg 20200221_152544.jpg

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed a dashcam last night by tapping into the power behind the mirror as detailed in the radar detector forum. I have the ROAV S1 and used this cable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFRWC3X/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_safuEbMKNJ0EX

So far it seems to do the job and was a very easy install. Cant even see it from the drivers seat (blocked by mirror), which was desired.
View attachment 34581 View attachment 34582
Link to forum for steps on how to do this? Looks awesome btw! I have a very similar dashcam like yours so I'm happy to see that it can be tapped right into the mirror.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dash cameras are low power the powered mirror tap is the best approach in pretty much all vehicles today. Non powered mirrors like my old Toyota I simply tapped into the sunroof power also right there by the mirror.

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a right angle micro usb adapter to make it a little bit cleaner looking, but the connector on the one I bought was a little too thick to plug in. So I'll just let it run like this for a little bit.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a right angle micro usb adapter to make it a little bit cleaner looking, but the connector on the one I bought was a little too thick to plug in. So I'll just let it run like this for a little bit.
Just wanted to update that I got this earlier in the week. Took 5 minutes to install. Runs flawlessly and the only part that's peaking out from the mirror cover is the USB connector itself. Might cut a small hole in the side of the car in the future so it's a flush fit. Anyways, thanks again @Shaffer9!

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE:

My dash cam has parking mode so I had to use two fuses -- one for ACC for for BATTery.

I ended up using the #16 (Tailgate Release) for my BATTery and #37 (Heated Steering Wheel) for my ACC power. Everything seems to be working fine after about two days. LOL.

Hope this helps others.

Hi Lou, is everything still working good with those fuse choices? I'm looking at installing a Blackvue 900S with the Power Magic Pro and it need both constant and switched. Thanks!