FX4 and LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On our Limited, the highs and lows are both LED so I would assume the same is true for the Platinums as well. Most of the time, manufacturers put all the LEDs, drivers and controls in/on the headlamp housing. It concentrates the assembly packaging and also allows the use of the heat generated from all the various components to clear snow and ice from the lenses.
What year Expedition do you have? The 17s have halogen lights.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is how they came out on my 2017 Expy but not the 2018. Even the manual says you have to remove the grill.

It is very easy. Two screws hold the headlight housings in place. Use a 10 mm socket to remove the screws on top of the housing. The bottom is held in with spring clips. You remove the two top screws, lift the top tabs to and pull the headlight housing forward slightly. Stick your fingers in the gap between the fender and the edge of the housing and give a quick short tug to pop the spring clip, then do the same thing near the grille and then maneuver assembly tuck the outside corner in and pull the side by the grille out and the whole thing comes right out. I can pull both sides in about 5 or 6 minutes.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how they came out on my 2017 Expy but not the 2018. Even the manual says you have to remove the grill.
It sounds like they are making them so you can't mod them. Or at least it's going to take a lot of tools to do it. My daughter has a 16 Fusion and I believe that I read you have to take the fender off to change the headlights.

Kevink109

Reaction score
Just keeping this alive- my fx4 didn't have the LED headlight option and I would like to add.

Asked at the dealer and they didnt have any interest in trying to figure it out- it sorta looks like the factory LED headlights may be plug and play - there self contained with all electronics and just plug in- was hoping to get this verified by someone who actually knows? Then the question is finding a dealer who will sell factory parts and a reasonable cost : )

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just keeping this alive- my fx4 didn't have the LED headlight option and I would like to add.

Asked at the dealer and they didnt have any interest in trying to figure it out- it sorta looks like the factory LED headlights may be plug and play - there self contained with all electronics and just plug in- was hoping to get this verified by someone who actually knows? Then the question is finding a dealer who will sell factory parts and a reasonable cost : )
The headlight assemblies are interchangeable. But the factory LED assemblies are going to be very expensive. I couldn't find a parts list for a 2018 but my guess is somewhere between $1500 and $2000 each.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer quoted/est to me was 5k for parts and install, and it void my warranty. 1500 per headlight 1k for harness(apparently you have to change the wattage output so a specific harness needs to be ordered) and 1k install

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer quoted/est to me was 5k for parts and install, and it void my warranty. 1500 per headlight 1k for harness(apparently you have to change the wattage output so a specific harness needs to be ordered) and 1k install
Since the Halogens draw more current I can't imagine that you need a new harness. I can't understand why they would void the warranty and what part they would void and what grounds that would have for voiding any part of it.

I figured the parts were going to be expensive.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went ahead and had the dealer install aftermarket HID lights in the low beams and fogs. $625 total which included the lights and ballasts. They had to remove the front bumper and grill. I watched....it wasn't easy!