Gave the Expedition a new look

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmart

Reaction score
It looks good, I gotta ask out of curiosity, are you under 40? There seems to be an “anti-chrome” movement going on with the younger folks. Not that I’m much older, I just still like it. Especially with the black metallic paint on my truck.

I noticed the same thing on the motorcycle forums I’m on as well. All the “younger” folks want their bikes “blacked out”. Again it definitely looks good but I want to be a visible as possible when riding, the truck on the other hand I wouldn’t be as worried about.

OP
OP
W

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks good, I gotta ask out of curiosity, are you under 40? There seems to be an “anti-chrome” movement going on with the younger folks. Not that I’m much older, I just still like it. Especially with the black metallic paint on my truck.

I noticed the same thing on the motorcycle forums I’m on as well. All the “younger” folks want their bikes “blacked out”. Again it definitely looks good but I want to be a visible as possible when riding, the truck on the other hand I wouldn’t be as worried about.

Good guess, I'm 36 haha

Mmart

Reaction score
Lol the “millennial anti chrome movement”. It’s all good. Just an observation I’ve made past couple years.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always despised chrome but lately I haven't been mind seeing it on cars. nonetheless I plan on ditching my chrome wheels sometime, but I want the newer polished aluminum that I keep seeing, looks very nice.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had chrome wheels on it the last two years, couldn't stand them! So this year we went black 20', black lug nuts etc. Tires are 275/65/20 Cooper ST MAXX. 2" front and rear strut spacers, with no tire rubbing.

I'm thinking of blacking out the door handles next, goodbye chrome!
View attachment 41144

Looks cool. Center caps match your paint. If you knock out the handles get the roof rack too. Nice truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
K7kzm0D.jpg

I too am dechroming, I'm either going to put in a set of Limited headlight housings, or go aftermarket with black instead of the chrome stuff. I'm also going to put a wrap on the door handles and the chrome trim piece on the rear, on the hatch. I may/may not try to tint the fog lights. Tinting the front door glass soon, too, other than that, it's all I want, visually.
I'm 43, and have always preferred a monochromatic look to my cars...just me ;)

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good OP. Definitely get the handles and rack as suggested, it will bring the look together.

I'm also part of the monochrome club. I've never liked chrome, even as a kid I recall several times were all my dad or his friends did was state at it while complaining about how hard it is to keep up. WHY do you have it if it is a terrible solution.... 30s, 40s, 50s cars I get it, it was part of the design concept of the vehicles of the time. Body color matched everything would look off on most of those.

I've sold every set of chrome rims that have come with a vehicle. When the wife and I were shopping for her navigator we were specifically after ones without the chrome wheels as was she because she wouldn't want to constantly wipe them off to keep looking decent. The 2007+ style where they have have chrome at the bottom of the doors, the pillars, mirror caps, etc. I wouldn't drive it that way if you gave me one, it looks tacky. We are trying to decide how far to take the de-chrome on hers. We know we will get rid of it long before it's useful life is up so the changes need to be reversible for whomever may purchase it one day.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Blacking out was huge in NJ in the 90s, so I imagine there's plenty of us 40+ people out there that like it. :D