Hellwig Rear Sway Bar Not Centered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just installed the Hellwig rear sway bar on my ‘20 Max today along with new Moogs end links. I eyeballed the sway bar and got it mostly centered before torquing the U-plates. Took it for a short ride when I was done and now the sway bar is a bit off centered, about an inch or so toward the drivers side. Will this create any issues or is it normal to have some side to side float?

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have the end links even and straight when you tightened them down?

OP
OP
M

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have the end links even and straight when you tightened them down?
I think so, but given how the end links rotate/pivot I don’t see how it would matter if they weren’t exactly even when I tightened those bolts? Looking for guidance because maybe I’m making a bad assumption here.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the looks of it, it might be okay. Couple thoughts. First, what if you rotate the bottom connector? That is, on your first picture, leave the top as is, but rotate the bottom 180 degrees so it's on the outside of the bar? Just eye balling it that might make it more straight up and down and do both sides. Not sure if you can rotate those, some of them you can, but not sure on the moogs. Maybe only adjustable ones can rotate (actually looking at your pictures i think they are rigid so you won't be able to do that), sorry.

Also, on thing I learned, try to wipe up all excess lubricant, any excess seems to really attract dirt which just gets inside and make them squeek.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just installed the Hellwig rear sway bar on my ‘20 Max today along with new Moogs end links. I eyeballed the sway bar and got it mostly centered before torquing the U-plates. Took it for a short ride when I was done and now the sway bar is a bit off centered, about an inch or so toward the drivers side. Will this create any issues or is it normal to have some side to side float?

I wonder if the sway bar in not symmetrical. If you set the sway bar on a flat surface, does it wobble? You would also need to measure the angle and length of the outer bends.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On mine, as I used to do with my Jeeps all the time, I simply didn't tighten down the chassis mounts, left them pretty loose, and drove up and down my driveway a few times. Going over the curb will help the bar naturally settle in place on its own, assuming it's symmetrical. Then I cranked the chassis mounts down. My front one shifted probably 3/4". The rear not so much. Of course that meant a lot of the grease was exposed now, but it was still centered.

OP
OP
M

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple thoughts. First, what if you rotate the bottom connector? That is, on your first picture, leave the top as is, but rotate the bottom 180 degrees so it's on the outside of the bar? Just eye balling it that might make it more straight up and down and do both sides. Not sure if you can rotate those, some of them you can, but not sure on the moogs. Maybe only adjustable ones can rotate (actually looking at your pictures i think they are rigid so you won't be able to do that), sorry.

Also, on thing I learned, try to wipe up all excess lubricant, any excess seems to really attract dirt which just gets inside and make them squeek.
The links aren’t adjustable, and thanks for the tip about the grease. I’ll clean up the excess once I’m finished messing with the alignment.

I wonder if the sway bar in not symmetrical. If you set the sway bar on a flat surface, does it wobble? You would also need to measure the angle and length of the outer bends.
I had the new bar lying flat next to the old after I removed the old one and I don’t recall noticing any wobble or anything that didn’t match the length/curvature of the old bar. However, I didn’t measure so there’s a chance it is off a bit.

On mine, as I used to do with my Jeeps all the time, I simply didn't tighten down the chassis mounts, left them pretty loose, and drove up and down my driveway a few times. Going over the curb will help the bar naturally settle in place on its own, assuming it's symmetrical. Then I cranked the chassis mounts down. My front one shifted probably 3/4". The rear not so much. Of course that meant a lot of the grease was exposed now, but it was still centered.
I think I’ll try this first as I won’t need to undo the whole bar. :banghead:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360