Help- Will my Expy tow this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I presume the Jayco 24MBH is still on the “heavy” side as well then based on the feedback thus far?

The only unit the I have found was mentioned earlier the Lance/Coachmen 208BHS Apex Nano, being under 6k lbs and a low hitch weight. Being honest it just doesn’t seem to be as appealing.

Any other light weight bunk/Murphy bed options with a slide? TIA.
It'll be hard to find because they only made the floor plans for 1 or two years, but... Grand Design Imagine 19BWE and 20BHE. Currently shown on their website as "dealer stock only".

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is it the rear axle rating way down on the Code 15 (3.31) axles vs. the 3L (3.73s)? Anyone got some white/yellow sticker pictures they can share?

@shane_th_ee & @Joshua Robison

It would be helpful to compare stickers, autotrader is hit or miss if sellers put up stickers.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is it the rear axle rating way down on the Code 15 (3.31) axles vs. the 3L (3.73s)? Anyone got some white/yellow sticker pictures they can share?

@shane_th_ee & @Joshua Robison

It would be helpful to compare stickers, autotrader is hit or miss if sellers put up stickers.
3.73 is 4380# while the 3.31 is 4200#. (Hint, use google images to find rural dealers that post white/yellow stickers for all their inventory. Then use their website to look at the stickers of different configurations.) The biggest difference seems to be the integrated trailer brake controller. If you look closely at the chart I posted, the FX4 without the max tow package is limited to 6000lbs. Which is odd because the FX4 has all of the same mechanical* and cooling bits as the Max-tow configured Expeditions, but lacks only the ITB and the pro-trailer backup assist.

*Well, ok, there is still an open question on which springs the FX4 gets both with and without the max tow package...

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.73 is 4380# while the 3.31 is 4200#. (Hint, use google images to find rural dealers that post white/yellow stickers for all their inventory. Then use their website to look at the stickers of different configurations.) The biggest difference seems to be the integrated trailer brake controller. If you look closely at the chart I posted, the FX4 without the max tow package is limited to 6000lbs. Which is odd because the FX4 has all of the same mechanical* and cooling bits as the Max-tow configured Expeditions, but lacks only the ITB and the pro-trailer backup assist.

*Well, ok, there is still an open question on which springs the FX4 gets both with and without the max tow package...

Very interesting that there are two different spring part numbers, but it's not listed as part of the package. My BIL bought an FX4, and he is under the assumption it was good for 9K but I guess it may not be. He's pulling a 7,500lb camper with it too.. yikes.

Goofy how they do all this right? So an FX for all the hardware minus the springs and is 3K less GCVW, meanwhile still has a 1675lb payload and the higher rated rear axle.. i feel like I'm deciphering some cryptic code.

Finally - wouldn't the fact that the FX4 (3.73s) and a rig with 3.31s have the same max trailer rating really mean that the rear HD springs (JL1Z-5560-A) be the actual driving factory in GCVW, not the rear axle (albeit 180lbs lower in rating).

On edit - I think that would solidify that the FX4 likely has the softer springs.. a brake controller and a fancy ******** knob can't add 3K GCVW

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for being late to the discussion.

My daughters previous Expedition EL (2016) did NOT have HDTT. I am pretty sure it had a 3.31 rear axle. They did add a HD radiator and an auxiliary transmission cooler and electric brake controller, but they actually towed a slightly larger travel trailer (Jayco 28BHBE - 9250 GVW) from MI to FL with no issues.

b17drvr

Reaction score
You are over the max hitch weight of 600 without a weight distributing hitch. You can go to 900 with the hitch. The Equalizer hitch is great.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been towing a 2019 2509s for a while now with an 06 with tow package. Saw the same setup with a newer expy this weekend at a koa so they will do it.
Having said that, i would still prefer a f250 or bigger. It pulls and stops, doesn't sway too bad for the suspension type. But its not real happy doing it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

@dadoo71 Do you run a short or long wheel base? Also any other upgrades like Sumos, LT tires, etc?

10sne1

Reaction score
joshua, what TT travel trailer did you buy? Weight? Hitch weight? Added components to your Expy? I have a 2020 non-heavy tow. Wandering how your TT shopping and towing went? Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire