Hey everyone! Travel trailer question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Alcala

Reaction score
We know the 3.5L EB will handle north of 13,000# on a "properly equipped" F-150. But the 10-speed transmission seems like the weak-link in these late-model Expys. Not sure how hot your 06R70 gets towing those numbers of your camper ...but I'm only 6200# (GVWR) and my '19 (with HD tow) got all the way to 245F ...and they apparently go into limp mode at 250F.

The 10-speed doesn't seem to be built for the extremes of super hot weather ...unless you wanna drive it at least 10 below the posted speed limit.

I have never been above 215F on my trans. That was on a trip through the Texas Hill Country fully loaded in July.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never been above 215F on my trans. That was on a trip through the Texas Hill Country fully loaded in July.

Well that's awesome, but sure doesn't sound like the "norm." Pretty much everyone I've bantered with here and on FB (Expy FB groups), say that their 10-speed trans will run 225-235F when towing in harsh conditions. Here in Arizona, there's pretty much nothing but harsh conditions ...but especially summertime; and this summer in particular has been one of the hottest ...with sustained days over 110F and no cloud cover, or rain (or ANY lick of humidity).

Take all that and jump out on a crowded freeway / interstate (I-17) ...climb 4 mountain passes to get to your destination and let's see if your rig can keep the trans down at 215F. Heck...it's so damn hot here right now, the trans runs 217-220F just doin' the grocery-gettin'. That you say you've never been above 215F seems ...IDK...a little contrived. All of these late-model trans typically run at least 100-110F over ambient air-temperature and then typically run 10-20% hotter while towing (anything of substance). Even the HD Alison 6-speed in my Duramax has seen close to 270F temps while towing our camper through the purgatory of Arizona's landscape.

If you've literally never seen more than 215F, I honestly suspect a bad temp sensor. Might wanna have that checked. At the very least go out with your trailer and try really hard to push a little faster ...accelerate just a little harder ...and see if you can at least achieve 217-220F. If you can't ...bad sensor.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I am thinking a 2800BH is what we're likely going to to with. I really hope I don't make a very expensive mistake. :p

I think it'll do it, but hopefully your not planning on pulling all over the country! Seems just a hair too big...Hope it works out!

Chris Alcala

Reaction score
Well that's awesome, but sure doesn't sound like the "norm." Pretty much everyone I've bantered with here and on FB (Expy FB groups), say that their 10-speed trans will run 225-235F when towing in harsh conditions. Here in Arizona, there's pretty much nothing but harsh conditions ...but especially summertime; and this summer in particular has been one of the hottest ...with sustained days over 110F and no cloud cover, or rain (or ANY lick of humidity).

Take all that and jump out on a crowded freeway / interstate (I-17) ...climb 4 mountain passes to get to your destination and let's see if your rig can keep the trans down at 215F. Heck...it's so damn hot here right now, the trans runs 217-220F just doin' the grocery-gettin'. That you say you've never been above 215F seems ...IDK...a little contrived. All of these late-model trans typically run at least 100-110F over ambient air-temperature and then typically run 10-20% hotter while towing (anything of substance). Even the HD Alison 6-speed in my Duramax has seen close to 270F temps while towing our camper through the purgatory of Arizona's landscape.

If you've literally never seen more than 215F, I honestly suspect a bad temp sensor. Might wanna have that checked. At the very least go out with your trailer and try really hard to push a little faster ...accelerate just a little harder ...and see if you can at least achieve 217-220F. If you can't ...bad sensor.

Like you said in your previous post, and I said originally, I have a ‘15 with the 6 speed. I run an OBD app on my phone on all trips and have the Ford trans temp directly from the module displayed, it also matches the one on the dash. It is routinely 100+ here with 40% humidity. I run this thing pretty hard. I usually see anywhere from 196-200 when not towing and it will peak at 204 when really getting after it. When towing it starts in the low 200s and hovers at 206-208 in 5th on relatively flat ground going 70-75mph. When we went through the Texas “mountains” I hit 215 after some sustained climbs in 3rd and 4th going about 60mph.

not sure if the trans cooler is bigger on the 15-17 with HD tow vs the 18+, but that’s what I get. I recently lost my logs when I had to delete my OBD app after upgrading to iOS 14, but I have some trips planned in the next couple of months that I will get some logs on.

could it have gone above 215 for a short period of time when I wasn’t watching? Sure, but given where I see it after most climbs it’s safe to say it wasn’t much over that if so. I have never seen it over that though.

DExpy17

Reaction score
Howdy DExpy, I assume you meant a '17. Definitely still a 3.5L EB though. The one difference is I think you have the 6-speed, and these 4th-gens have the 10-speed. For me personally anyway, that seems to be of the greater concern. My situation is somewhat unique in that a good portion of my TT towing will be from triple-digit temps climbing lots of hills to get into the higher-elevations of Northern Arizona. I'm not really concerned about trans-temps from say October - May (15th), but that late-May to late September temperature pattern has me concerned about the longevity of the 10R80. Time will tell.

In any event it sounds like you've gotta sweet setup and I'm hoping to upgrade to something a little bigger than what we have now (but will probably never go beyond 7500# GVWR ...unless we move to a cooler climate).
you are correct the expy is a 17 with 6 speed tranny. The TT is an '18. my brother-in law had the 10r80 in his F-150 and told the model down from ours. He live in the Catskill mountains and traded in after two seasons because of transmission problems.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like you said in your previous post, and I said originally, I have a ‘15 with the 6 speed. I run an OBD app on my phone on all trips and have the Ford trans temp directly from the module displayed, it also matches the one on the dash. It is routinely 100+ here with 40% humidity. I run this thing pretty hard. I usually see anywhere from 196-200 when not towing and it will peak at 204 when really getting after it. When towing it starts in the low 200s and hovers at 206-208 in 5th on relatively flat ground going 70-75mph. When we went through the Texas “mountains” I hit 215 after some sustained climbs in 3rd and 4th going about 60mph.

not sure if the trans cooler is bigger on the 15-17 with HD tow vs the 18+, but that’s what I get. I recently lost my logs when I had to delete my OBD app after upgrading to iOS 14, but I have some trips planned in the next couple of months that I will get some logs on.

could it have gone above 215 for a short period of time when I wasn’t watching? Sure, but given where I see it after most climbs it’s safe to say it wasn’t much over that if so. I have never seen it over that though.

I reckon I missed (or lost track of) the part where you said you're driving a '15 with the 6-speed. HUGE difference. It's less about the trans cooling system and more about the fact that the 10-speed runs quite hot compared to 4-, 5-, and some 6-speed transmissions (as mentioned my 6-speed Alison will run even hotter than the 10-speed).

Some of my personal experience may be due to my propensity for maintaining the speed-limit (at least), even when towing. I've been pulling trailers for a ba'zillion years and don't get sheepish behind the wheel, with a properly setup trailer. Certainly wind, severity of grade, and the "twisties" can and do slow me down; however, straight-line pulling, I pull no punches. This typically hasn't been a problem for me in my litany of different tow vehicles ...I've never had a transmission failure in my lifetime of driving / towing. However, this 10-speed seems to need some "babying" to maintain its longevity. I will certainly be pulling grades much slower in the future.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I reckon I missed (or lost track of) the part where you said you're driving a '15 with the 6-speed. HUGE difference. It's less about the trans cooling system and more about the fact that the 10-speed runs quite hot compared to 4-, 5-, and some 6-speed transmissions (as mentioned my 6-speed Alison will run even hotter than the 10-speed).

Some of my personal experience may be due to my propensity for maintaining the speed-limit (at least), even when towing. I've been pulling trailers for a ba'zillion years and don't get sheepish behind the wheel, with a properly setup trailer. Certainly wind, severity of grade, and the "twisties" can and do slow me down; however, straight-line pulling, I pull no punches. This typically hasn't been a problem for me in my litany of different tow vehicles ...I've never had a transmission failure in my lifetime of driving / towing. However, this 10-speed seems to need some "babying" to maintain its longevity. I will certainly be pulling grades much slower in the future.
I'm pretty certain the 10R80 uses a new transmission fluid that's designed for higher temperatures...

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain the 10R80 uses a new transmission fluid that's designed for higher temperatures...
Correct. Designed to operate at a higher temp than previous transmissions.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score

folks. Interesting to watch this thread and learn.

I was observing engine temps rising to 230-235 on hills pulling a 4000 lb trailer with my 19. I am going to start watching my trans temps too. I called two different Ford service depts. both say that 230-235 are normal eng op temps for hills with trailers.

observations?