Hey everyone! Travel trailer question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
folks. Interesting to watch this thread and learn.

I was observing engine temps rising to 230-235 on hills pulling a 4000 lb trailer with my 19. I am going to start watching my trans temps too. I called two different Ford service depts. both say that 230-235 are normal eng op temps for hills with trailers.

observations?

Idaho ... honestly, I've been quite the opposite and have been far more concerned with trans temps than engine coolant temps. Consequently, I haven't really monitored those, other than to keep an occasional eye on the C-to-H gauge at the top of the display. Basically, the temps (when towing) are going to be fairly congruent ...depending on both towing weight and environmental factors (ambient air temp, ascent grade, etc.). There hasn't been a vehicle made for more than 40 years that would balk at 225-240F engine coolant temps. But most transmissions aren't very happy after trans fluid temps exceed 235F. But these late-model trans, with modern fluids seem to be capable of as much as 250-255F before any eminent failure is remotely possible. I wouldn't want to push it ...I've seen 245F on my trans temp pulling a 7% uphill grade at "full speed" (65 mph) ...in 112F ambient air temp.

I don't know how accurate the gauges are on the Fords ...it is pretty hit or miss with the "dummy gauges" from manufacturer to manufacturer. However, there are more than one kind / brand of engine and transmission that are fully capable of sustained temps of 250F+ trans and 260+ engine coolant. While I'm dubious that the Expy is one of those vehicles, so far, it has taken just about everything I've thrown at it.

17BearExpy

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum but was reading through this thread. Wanted to share my experience in case it helps anyone. 2017 Expedition with the HD tow package. I am towing a 2018 Jayco JayFlight 267BHWS. Dry weight on trailer is 5,660. I loaded it up with how we take it out for trips including the fresh water tank filled and took it to the truck scales at QuikTrip (highly recommend weighing your entire setup if you want to be safe). Loaded trailer weight was 6,720lbs. Expedition loaded with the kids (wife and dog not included) was 6,340lbs. Total scale weight for everything is 13,060lbs (within the specs for the Expedition).

Now, real world towing in AZ. Going up the long 6-7% grades in 90+ degree heat towards Flagstaff and Payson, I really watch the engine and transmission temps. When I hit the climbs, I usually end up dropping down to about 40mph and 2nd gear. This keeps the RPMs high enough to keep the engine cool and prevent the transmission from heating up. I see way too many people that want to race to the top of the hill and end up overheating the vehicle. Slow and steady and no problems on my end. Also, I upgraded to Cooper AT3 LT truck tires. Night and day difference in stability while towing. The factory tires felt soft and squishy while towing.

Hope this helps someone who is trying to figure out their rig along with a few of my pics of the setup.

1D1E00E7-C2A5-45C8-81AA-304B04D889A6.jpeg

417F3901-B4AA-45CB-A4FF-C75012AAD1F4.jpeg

E5C2E1BA-ACD5-4644-A7D9-A1685867D5F6.jpeg

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loaded trailer weight was 6,720lbs. Expedition loaded with the kids (wife and dog not included) was 6,340lbs. Total scale weight for everything is 13,060lbs (within the specs for the Expedition).

Were you hitched up when you did this? It seems like you would have had more weight on the rear axle if you were.

17BearExpy

Reaction score
I actually weighed it twice. The scales have three sections. I un-hitched the trailer and put it on one scale to get its weight by itself (the 6,720lb number) first. I then hooked it back up (just on the ball, left the weight distribution bars disconnected) and re-weighed to get approximate tongue weight which loaded was 780lbs (just under 12%). This was the closest I could get to checking tongue weight without buying a tongue weight only scale. Tows great with WDH and LT tires. No sway unless a really windy day or if I start driving too fast. I try not to go beyond 65mph for general safety and trailer tire rating right now. When I had P rated tires, the rear end felt kinda squishy (likely the softer sidewalks on those tires). And by the way, the employee at QuikTrip was awesome with helping me do the scale weights.

17BearExpy

Reaction score
Yes that's the process I use but I do a third weighing, hitched with w/d. That's important one.

The ticket in the photo was unhitched then, right?

Yep, ticket shown is unhitched to get just trailer weight. Good call on doing a third weigh with the WDH all hooked up. Next time for sure.