Hillbilly Redneck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think we HAVE any places without zoning, city regs, and HOA bull in this county anymore though

You might be right on that living in SoCal or big cities, but as far as the rest of the nation Plenty of room for us rednecks everywhere. Granted your daily commute might be a bit longer but totally worth it. And I am not talking about the 3 hour Daily commute like LA I'm talking 30 Minutes to 1 hour to get to your redneck heaven.

Bigger houses and more land for less and better taxes to. The only question is what are you waiting for?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yup, where in Virginia are you? My son's in Quantico and while he loved Lexington, he's fed up with Northern Virginia; says it's like New York. I got to find a place out of here.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, where in Virginia are you? My son's in Quantico and while he loved Lexington, he's fed up with Northern Virginia; says it's like New York. I got to find a place out of here.
I am outside of Richmond. Your son is correct the I95 corridor as they call it (I95 between Richmond and D.C.) is a commuter's nightmare wouldn't wish it on anyone. The cost of living in northern Virginia is double what it is in surrounding areas. So all the government workers and aides that are low on the totem pole (nation capitol so a lot of them)must commute up to 2 hours away(one way) from D.C. just to survive. And if there is a accident (which they clear quickly) with people hurt or fatality add a couple more hours.
That being said heading south (no accidents) Quantico is where the traffic starts to let up.
Keep in mind all that is during rush hours. Not during rush hours you can breeze right thru, There is traffic but no slowdown.

So my suggestion is to head east or west of Quantico if you are looking to stay off the corridor. East takes you to the beaches and the Chesapeake bay (which I see you like as you live a beach) Colonial Beach, Northern Neck and plenty of quiet little towns or for a change of scenery head west for the mountains. Orange county, Culpeper (where Tim Smith makes his ****** moonshine) All these suggestions about a hour away from Quantico. Looking for closer I would suggest Fredericksburg (30 min) south of Quantico on I 95 but nowhere near as bad rush hour traffic.

Considering you like beaches there is also the eastern shore (that piece of land that makes Chesapeake bay) Very nice and isolated out there and you would have go around thru Maryland or down thru Virginia beach to get back to the mainland. (3 to 4 hours from Quantico)

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regulations that define what other people can do for the sole purpose of limiting them to what their neighbors want (supposedly) is patently unAmerican

Hell, the whole idea of zoning is unAmerican

Screw that... if the social contract goes the way of the Soviet Union, we're at least owed the PERKS as well (free education, healthcare, pensions and benefits, absolute public order).

Authoritarian overregulation without the guaranteed benefits is bullsh!t. Selling your liberties to a nanny state for next to nothing, without reaping the enormous security and stability normally included, is utter madness.

This pretty much sums up my opinion on zoning laws. I heard Houston almost had no zoning laws but that was 10 years ago.

"the sole purpose of limiting to what their neighbors want" or the majority want. Just like democracy is tyranny by the majority.
The word AMERICA meant something to me. It included all the freedoms and liberties and individual and ownership rights to the hilt, but they have taken most all these away.
Who are they??? Complicated. The govt since it has been legally done, but its really some of the people.
What I have witnessed is some ONE person gets their ******* in a bunch over a neighbor doing something they down like....lets say pouring a nice cement pad to park a motorhome on next to side of house. They find out it is legal...so they go to a council member or get with other neighbors and get that mob mentality going since they only hear the one neighbors side of debate and all you have to do is get one council member to sponsor an ordinance. Then they have 2 public reading or hearings on it and then vote.
They can change a 50 year standing policy in as little as 45-60 days before most people even know about it.
There is no voting by the residents.
They can give public input...but most don't know about it until it's too late.
This is how they have zapped our rights away.
It all goes back to the snooty neighbor and the ones like them that don't think others should have control of their own property as long as they keep it on their side of the fence.
So I have a big problem with people like this or with these tendencies since I know where it leads and where the problems came from.

It is completely UN-American!
We no longer live in America...we are simply the United States...of what I am not sure.
If you think of something new to do or different or something that benefits you or makes life easier....there will usually come along an ordinance to prohibit it.
It is very sad really.
EXCEPT for the snooty, nosy, control freak neighbor type people who prefer it.

That's what HOAs and developments with CC&Rs were made for. So uptight birds of a feather could flock together. But basic city and country has gotten more restrictive and it should not have.
i love it when I see a 70s house in a nice upscale neighborhood with huge set of HAM radio beams above the roof. You know at least someone had to hate it but no rules to stop them.
They tried with even satellite tv like dish as first and the HOAs prohibited ANY antennae but due to the immense power of the commercial satellite TV companies that were growing rapidly, they got congress to pass laws to exempt them.....But the locals take more and more rights away every chance they get.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure you do. Buy a small island off the Atlantic, or Pacific coast. Then your in international waters, and do whatever you want. No HoA regulations out there!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I have been talking about my own island for decades...does that surprise anyone???

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No not really. Tiger Woods did it. At 5:00pm, you play Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville, raise your drink, fire off your cannon like Higgins used to do on Magnum Pi. Have to be a big island though, you'd want to cruise your vehicles.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sgt Darkness

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever seat a tire bead using ether?

In case you haven't:

Have never tried ether but lighter fluid works as well. Wear safety glasses if at all possible and let the experts who have the right equipment work on split rims. Not many out there now days but they are out there.

OP
OP
Sgt Darkness

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever seat a tire bead using ether?

In case you haven't:

Have never tried ether but lighter fluid works as well. Wear safety glasses if at all possible and let the experts who have the right equipment work on split rims. Not many out there now days but they are out there.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is that like the old Bon Ami trick in the cylinder to scuff walls and seat rings.