horn and cruse dont work please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expo dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a 99 expedition with a horn and curse control issue all fuses are good the horn dont work nor does the curse i have swapped the relay for the horn and didnt change anything does anyone have any ideas for me. also the illumination on the steering wheel does work with the lights on i thought clock spring but wouldnt the lights on the buttons not work if the clock spring is bad.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Along with your other light problem you should get the wiring manual. That way it is easier for all of us to troubleshoot. They are available on ebay for around $20. Get the original Ford book.
My reply to your other post I asked about a test light, you'll need that or a dvm for this also. Your problem is basic, the "hard" part is finding the location of the cause.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Recall Date:

SEP 07, 2005

Model Affected:

1999 Ford Expedition

Summary:

ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SPEED CONTROL, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN.

Consequences:

A FIRE AT THE SWITCH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:

BY LETTER DATED SEPTEMBER 12, 2005, OWNERS WERE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN THEIR VEHICLES TO THEIR DEALERS TO HAVE THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH DISCONNECTED. OWNERS WHO HAVE HAD THEIR SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATED ARE BEING NOTIFIED THAT PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE AND ADVISED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO RECONNECT THE SPEED CONTROL BEGINNING IN FEBRUARY 2006. OWNERS WHO DID NOT HAVE THEIR SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATED ARE BEING NOTIFIED TO HAVE THEIR SYSTEM REMEDIED BEGINNING IN FEBRUARY 2006. OWNERS ARE URGED TO AVAIL THEMSELVES OF THE FREE DISCONNECT SERVICE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF THE SIGNIFICANT RISK OF FIRE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. (NOTE: ALSO SEE RECALLS 05V017 AND 06V286)

Potential Units Affected:

I had this recall done they put a wiring harness infront of the brake master , now I tried too use the cruise and it has failed I took the black tape off the inline fuse holder( two inline fuses) and found it corroded i'm going to bypass the ford fix to see if the fix was the problem

edit. the fuses are good

OP
OP
E

expo dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
was that recall for the 99 suv expedition as well do i just call the number with the vin to find out

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For your horn, check in the battery junction box for the horn relay. Jump #3 to #5, this will supply power directly to the horns. If they sound your problem lies on the switch side of the relay (horn contacts, connectors etc).

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the cruise there are 4 fuses to check with the volt meter. Leave the fuses plugged in. Check for voltage (12v) on both sides of the fuses, black lead to ground.

Fuse 7,20A, battery junction box - horn relay - yep it is wired into the system

Fuse 13, 20A, central junction box - brake pedal switches

Fuse 15, 5A, central junction box - brake pedal switch/GEM input

Fuse 19, 15A, central junction box - ignition power to speed control servo

First 3 are hot at all times, #4 is hot in run position

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

expo dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you stanp11127 for the info ill check all them tomorrow and have feed back also on the recall ill call and look into that as well thank you all for the info stamp ill let you know what i find out thank you for your time

OP
OP
E

expo dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fuse 19 is not used on my truck the speed servo of the 19 spot seems to be in the 5 fuse spot looking at the fuse pannel on my truck and the location listing speed control servo is 5 fuse all have power in and out of the fuse as you listed in your checking