How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

egeller

Reaction score
Only issues are electrical (none of the power windows work anymore) and interior, some of the plastic trim is cracking
Other than that, runs great

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a very good chance the power windows just need some TLC for the switches. The contact points build up carbon deposits from arc'ing each time they are pressed and the plastic pins that push on the contacts wear. Clean the contacts with electrical cleaner and gently with a file/sandpaper and stretch the spring on the pins just a tiny bit. The switches will come apart with a few jewelers screwdrivers to lift the tabs a tiny bit, sometimes it takes 3 hands to make it easier. Anyway, it's a cheap fix that works almost all the time.

Uberexpy

Reaction score
‘05 XLT 4WD. I hit 119,000 miles this week. I did the timing chains, cam phasers, vct’s, all roller followers, lash adjusters and a melling hi flow/pressure pump @ 99,000. One of the followers bearings siezed. I replaced the throttle body due to going to run safe intermittently @ 98,000. I put an aftermarket one on that’s starting to fail. Going to drop the bucks on a motorcraft one this time. Overall, it’s been a good ride.
Scrolling through this post, and updating my ‘05 mileage: 154,200. Replaced the original brake pads/rotors @141k. I’m on my 4th set of tires, replaced all of the struts @ 98k (one was leaking). It’s still a good ride. I’m looking at small areas of corrosion to sand & prime, and considering a paint job in the near future.

Johnnyfinn

Reaction score
'04 EB 5.4 2V. Original engine 591K. Replaced with Ford crate motor. I do all my own service except for trans. This trans has been rebuilt twice. I tow boats with this across the country. Everything works, if it stops, I fix it. Love this truck. Want to see what it shows when I hit 1 mil.

Attachments

• IMG_2625.JPG
    IMG_2625.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 12

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought my '03 in 2006 with 31k on it. Now it's got almost 92k. Had a couple of plug coils go out. When the 3rd one went out, I had all the coils and plugs replaced late last year. I get a CEL every 6 months or so for P0442, I think. Small evap leak. I just reset it with my OBD II reader. Driver side rear wing vent quit working 3 years ago. Rear end whines at around 50 mph. Other than those things, no problems with it.

BrandonK4204

Reaction score
2004 Eddie Bauer, 280,000 miles, engine and trans still work perfectly. problems ive had, radio turns on and off and kills the battery if you so much as touch it. Ball joints need replacing, front bearings and rotors and calipers, new rack and pinion, and now the rear brake lines need replacing. But the AC still works.

SuperSteve85

Reaction score
I was hoping to see more posts from '05 owners!

I've got the '05, 2WD, King Ranch. Bought it in 2010 with about 110k on it, now it has 245k. I've replaced radiator support, transmission, front/rear wheel bearings, front/rear suspension components, all coils, a few injectors, cats, O2 sensors and of course the usual things like brakes, alternator and starter. The A/C has been a problem for a while now. Rear blend door (fixed) and compressor has been replaced twice. Once by me, once by the dealer to be sure it was done "right." After the dealer did their work it now randomly pops the pressure vent and blows my coolant out. Can't find a solution to this one yet. Roof window leaks off and on and now the rear side window has developed a leak. Need to fix that this weekend since there is water all over the floor in the back now. Overall a good rig, but definitely not without its issues. I'm beginning to hear the Cam Phaser rattle.... :(

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just hit 218,511 miles on my 2003 Ford Expedition XLT. The A/C wasn't cooling very well so I took it to my mechanic. He found some problems and will be replacing the compressor, evaporator and expansion valve. Hard to get mad about the repair cost considering that I have never had a problem with the A/C in all the years I've had it (bought it new 11/2002).

Last edited:

texasscot

Reaction score
I was hoping to see more posts from '05 owners!

I've got the '05, 2WD, King Ranch. Bought it in 2010 with about 110k on it, now it has 245k. I've replaced radiator support, transmission, front/rear wheel bearings, front/rear suspension components, all coils, a few injectors, cats, O2 sensors and of course the usual things like brakes, alternator and starter. The A/C has been a problem for a while now. Rear blend door (fixed) and compressor has been replaced twice. Once by me, once by the dealer to be sure it was done "right." After the dealer did their work it now randomly pops the pressure vent and blows my coolant out. Can't find a solution to this one yet. Roof window leaks off and on and now the rear side window has developed a leak. Need to fix that this weekend since there is water all over the floor in the back now. Overall a good rig, but definitely not without its issues. I'm beginning to hear the Cam Phaser rattle.... :(
i've just fixed my leaking rear side window. Large gaps develop between the window frame and the body work. i put in flowable silicone sealer meant for windshield repair. this gave a 99% improvement. I followed up with Captain Tolley's leak sealer (yeah, its a thing). 100% fixed!

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i've just fixed my leaking rear side window. Large gaps develop between the window frame and the body work. i put in flowable silicone sealer meant for windshield repair. this gave a 99% improvement. I followed up with Captain Tolley's leak sealer (yeah, its a thing). 100% fixed!
Texas - Over the years, I have tackled the same things you have except I haven't had problems with the radiator support, the transmission, alternator or starter. I fixed my leaking side windows and roof rack mounts with flowable silicone sealer. But will take a look at that Captain Tolley's if I have to re-visit it.