How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasscot

Reaction score
Update!
223,000 miles.
I did all the wheel bearings. And recently:
Rear window glass hinges.
Another front ball joint.
Front sway bar links (again, which got rid of an annoying knocking).
Radiator replacement, it developed a 4” hair line crack in the plastic top.
Fuel tank leak fixed with epoxy - the front breather hose fitting had a small split.
New fuel pump.
Replaced fuel filter.
Replaced failed brake light switch.

Currently on the bench: Replacing the fuel pump relay that’s soldered into the main board in the fuse box. I hope this will fix the getting-more-frequent unpredictable stalling.

Further update!
The soldered fuel pump relay fix seems to have worked. Hallelujah.

I still love this vehicle! I also appreciate the huge help provided by other posters in this forum. I wish all well in this new year.
Graham

Front left window regulator has failed and i suspect driver side will do soon. Part coming today, hoping for an easy swap out. 227,*** mls

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Front left window regulator has failed and i suspect driver side will do soon. Part coming today, hoping for an easy swap out. 227,*** mls

Yeah, after my passenger front regulator went out last year, I replaced both fronts with Motorcraft parts as preventive maintenance at 220k miles on the '03. Nothing worse than having one break when you're on the road and weather hits or you have to leave the vehicle in a parking garage for a while.

Charles Leimbach

Reaction score
207xxx. Lost compression in #3 and #4, replaced head gasket, valve cover gaskets, new timing chain guides as 2 broke, new timing chain, new intake manifold, new coils, new performance injectors, new spark plugs, yes I do new harmonic balancer, new AC compressor and condenser, new idle tensioner and pulley, new pulleys, new MAF sensor, new tranny filter and tranny fluid. I literally just got done doing all of this as she has been benched for the last 3 months. I get done refilling all her liquids and I go to start her but she's not catching or even trying to start, I smelt gas, looked underneath for somethingeaking
. I see gas going on the ground from the back of the engine. I jump up in there and on the driver side ots wet with gas. Trying g to figure out where it's coming from.. hopefully it's something simple..

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
207xxx. Lost compression in #3 and #4, replaced head gasket, valve cover gaskets, new timing chain guides as 2 broke, new timing chain, new intake manifold, new coils, new performance injectors, new spark plugs, yes I do new harmonic balancer, new AC compressor and condenser, new idle tensioner and pulley, new pulleys, new MAF sensor, new tranny filter and tranny fluid. I literally just got done doing all of this as she has been benched for the last 3 months. I get done refilling all her liquids and I go to start her but she's not catching or even trying to start, I smelt gas, looked underneath for somethingeaking
. I see gas going on the ground from the back of the engine. I jump up in there and on the driver side ots wet with gas. Trying g to figure out where it's coming from.. hopefully it's something simple..

Charles open the hood and observe that area while a helper puts the ignition key to the RUN position ( do not crank the engine...). With a bright flashlight you should be able to pin point where the fuel is coming from. You have 3 spots likely. A fuel injector, the fuel dampener on the rail, or the main rail / fuel line connection there at the very rear of the intake manifold on the driver's side.

texasscot

Reaction score

Good job though, that’s a lot of work. Sounds like the fitting to the fuel rail may not be properly seated. There’s a retaining clip that slips on too as I remember.

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I started this thread in Feb 13, 2020, I was at 200,000 miles. Since then I have done the following updates and repairs:
- Installed new KYB Strut-Plus shock assemblies all around
- New tires
- Replaced the serpentine belt
- Cleaned the throttle body
- Serviced the rear differential
- Flushed and refilled radiator, brake and power steering
- Replaced the fuse box and the fuel pump relay
- Front brake service (new rotors and pads)

Still going strong at 214,500 !

texasscot

Reaction score
Ticked over 250,000 miles last week!
Since last repair report I can add:
Replace brake booster as reservoir was full of gunk.
Spark plugs again.
Soldered on replacements for a couple of broken injector connectors.
I‘m concerned my repair on the gas tank may have started to leak…

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ticked over 250,000 miles last week!
Since last repair report I can add:
Replace brake booster as reservoir was full of gunk.
Spark plugs again.
Soldered on replacements for a couple of broken injector connectors.
I‘m concerned my repair on the gas tank may have started to leak…
I have found some connector tools for $10-15 that allow you to simply release the wire from the plastic connectors and swap the plastic only from a junkyard donor in like 2-3 minutes. Beats the heck out of cutting, soldering etc... on short wires at arms reach. Something like these:

I just grab all the connectors I can every time I hit the junkyard. They don't charge for them, but I give them like $1ea to make myself feel better. They don't charge for bolts/screws either so I grab all of those that I can as well.

My '04 EB has 272k. In the last year it got new rear wheel bearings, rotor, pads, parking brake shoes, cv axles, an entire new stereo system with custom sub enclosure(~.95cu ft) in factory location, sound deadening. Just found a drop of gear oil under the rear diff so it's time for another pinion seal. Amsoil lubricants front to back since new.

Favorite upgrade so far was new seat foam from TheSeatShop.com.