How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John863

Reaction score
As I've shared in earlier posts, my '03 Expedition is about to hit 200,000 miles. I bought it new in '02 and it's been the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It's been well maintained mechanically and I'm planning to keep it. I'm cleaning it up cosmetically now and am probably going to invest in new tires and shocks soon. But at some point, one has to wonder what the 2nd Gen's life expectancy is and therefore how much money should I invest in it.

So, I'm curious how many miles have other 2nd Gen owners have racked up on their Expeditions?

Mako

Dmpsix

Reaction score
2003 XLT 5.4 347,000 miles and going strong. Routine maintenance and replacement of OM spark plugs and ignition coils as well as all other routine maintenance parts with performance quality parts. In doing so accentuating the overall power that the Triton block is able to deliver. Only major repair was the entire front end suspension because OM parts became worn out and failing, but also due partially from the coastal climate effects.

Damn dude, I'm at 230k here.

Had to replace water pump and intake manifold. I keep striking out with garbage quality ignition coil packs and have had to replace those twice within about 12-14 months or so.

Other than that, everything's great.

Bugatti32

Reaction score
Damn dude, I'm at 230k here.

Had to replace water pump and intake manifold. I keep striking out with garbage quality ignition coil packs and have had to replace those twice within about 12-14 months or so.

Other than that, everything's great.
Try performance quality ignition coils and double platinum spark plugs, promise the engine will thank you.

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 XLT 5.4 347,000 miles and going strong. Routine maintenance and replacement of OM spark plugs and ignition coils as well as all other routine maintenance parts with performance quality parts. In doing so accentuating the overall power that the Triton block is able to deliver. Only major repair was the entire front end suspension because OM parts became worn out and failing, but also due partially from the coastal climate effects.

Bugatti32 - Hoping I get as many miles out of mine as you have with yours. Like you, I've kept up with the routine maintenance and have replaced the OM plugs & coils. Plus, I did the front-end rebuild and front wheel bearings. Just did new shock / spring strut assemblies all around last month. At 200,000 miles she still runs strong and rides nice.

Mako825

fife199

Reaction score
‘04 EB with 98,000. 2nd owner, purchased 4 yrs ago with 81,000 miles. Other than a chunk of plastic that broke off inside the passenger side valve cover (thought I broke a valve spring), belt tensioner and pulleys, it’s been a rust issue with this one. EXPY grew up in Illinois and now lives in Wisconsin. Had to replace rocker panels on both sides as well as the rad support..no spark plugs yet..

C2E05C23-E42D-4FD0-AF44-B29404A9EAA9.png

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
‘04 EB with 98,000. 2nd owner, purchased 4 yrs ago with 81,000 miles. Other than a chunk of plastic that broke off inside the passenger side valve cover (thought I broke a valve spring), belt tensioner and pulleys, it’s been a rust issue with this one. EXPY grew up in Illinois and now lives in Wisconsin. Had to replace rocker panels on both sides as well as the rad support..no spark plugs yet..

View attachment 34968

That a pretty sharp color combo! Love the rims and the bull bar. With you living up in the land of the big snow, do you have a front snow plow attachment? :)