How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2004 XLS with 4.6l at about 180K
bought new and had some issues
New plugs at 80K at dealer
102k it blew a plug out. took it to dealer because i wanted it done right. Long story short i believe there was al chips on top of piston and first 45 miles after work blew a hose in piston. also had all new injectors installed at same time, and all new rubber. got a ford reman engine and the ford reman had a tick and the cam hold down was cracked, got a new cylinder head under warranty.
Then the cats had issues because of the oil dump. replaced with walkers and the one failed relatively quickly and replaced under warranty. And all new motorcraft o2 sensors. And i also did the walker exhaust all the way back.

A 2 sets of coils as well... motorcraft in there now. Had accel at one point

Struts and springs replaced with quick lift ranchos.
front wheel bearings - timken brand
front heater blend door motor
alternator - forget which one i used but was from local auto parts store
a few batteries - maybe 2 ? last was is agm from advanced auto
front upper and lower arms with ball joints
New wheels - original were steel and looking bad
painted side plastic with duplicolor bumper paint
neoprene seat covers.
regular diet of mobil 1 5w30 and wix filter
amsoil in rear diff
rear abs sensors
took plastic stuff out by oil filter... easier to change filter
and the front driver seat broke at hinge, got new used on from scrap yard
front caliper seized and replaced was bad too ... ugh finally okay
trans drop pan and filter too and transfer case

issues now ....

inefficient o2 code every now and then on bank 2 -- i just clear it for now. passed emissions :) all the monitors were set
Some oil leaks but who cares
rear diff seal leak ... just fluid
rocker on driver side showing some rust
radiator support driver side rust.
front windows go up slow -- just hit tracks with some silicone spray

The only work done by me except the darn spark plugs and engine replacement and head. i shy away from ford plugs and rather pay someone else to do those.

I usually keep them until about 200k but i thought this one would be 300k because of the reman engine but i dont know. we will see.

I cannot afford a new expedition so i guess keep fixing this one. Then i will probably end up with one of cars pretending to be a suv. Honda passport? -- trans issues and timing belt and some other stuffKia telluride , way too new or many one of those ford broncos on ranger platform?
Strange how one can have no problems but another same model can have lot of problems.

t_bois

Reaction score
Just bought my 2005 Expedition in DEC. It has 126549 mi on it. It's my daily driver, so I'm trying to fix all the issues it has. I've had the cam phasers replaced along with the timing chain and all related timing chaining parts and now I'm working on the heating/cooling issues in the front and back. Also things like replacing and re-aligning the head lights and whatever else I find along the way. I'm hoping to get 200,000 miles out of it and like it so far.

bret191

Reaction score
225,576 miles Plugs at 137,000 and they still were great! 2 Coils, oil, gas and filters and still runs great and still looks great too.

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought my 2005 Expedition in DEC. It has 126549 mi on it. It's my daily driver, so I'm trying to fix all the issues it has. I've had the cam phasers replaced along with the timing chain and all related timing chaining parts and now I'm working on the heating/cooling issues in the front and back. Also things like replacing and re-aligning the head lights and whatever else I find along the way. I'm hoping to get 200,000 miles out of it and like it so far.

Im at 209,000 now and other than the starter not always catching the flex plate when i start it, it runs great, isnt leaking any oil, and doesn't seem to be using any either. And i do not drive it light footed, My DD for a long time was a 07 mustang gt which i still have but stopped driving it daily as it was getting up to 137,000 without me realizing it. I have even romped the expedition through the river rock and mud in 4x4 low a ton, an its never given me a hint of problem, plows right over everything. Even went straight up and over a 45 degree river rock wall about 30 feet long without even getting into the gas much.

Bugatti32

Reaction score
2003 XLT 5.4 347,000 miles and going strong. Routine maintenance and replacement of OM spark plugs and ignition coils as well as all other routine maintenance parts with performance quality parts. In doing so accentuating the overall power that the Triton block is able to deliver. Only major repair was the entire front end suspension because OM parts became worn out and failing, but also due partially from the coastal climate effects.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
2003 XLT 5.4 347,000 miles and going strong. Routine maintenance and replacement of OM spark plugs and ignition coils as well as all other routine maintenance parts with performance quality parts. In doing so accentuating the overall power that the Triton block is able to deliver. Only major repair was the entire front end suspension because OM parts became worn out and failing, but also due partially from the coastal climate effects.
Do you have a Bugatti too? Cuz...DAMN

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

smith627

Reaction score
2003 2wd 4.6L: 415,000 without any really major issues. I just put a new timing set on it two months ago, which was a chore, but manageable.

Wow, that is amazing, especially if it is still running with original transmission.