How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jericho

Reaction score
I bought a 2003 Expy EB that a customer traded in for a newer Expedition. I only had to pay the dealership what they gave him for trade-in value. It's a single owner vehicle that is in amazing condition. The previous owner obviously took care of it, and since he had all the work done here I can check the history and see what and when he had work done. He kept up with any and all maintenance. This is my first Expy and I have to say I love this thing. I'm sitting at 327,945 and she still purrs like a kitten.

Reaction score
265352.... It had 216000 when I bought it almost a year ago. I had two 1st gens before this one. I have this noise that sounds to me like spark knock, but been told it's probably the torque converter. I have two codes, lean on Bank One, lean on Bank too that are recurring. Guessing it's the manifold leaking.

IMG_20210217_141345_084.jpg

Donald Bell

Reaction score
West Carrollton, OH
2004 Eddie Bauer 5.4L 2V AWD HD 4x4
175,000 miles

Owned for 2 years (146,000 miles when bought)
2nd owner

Love her to death! New break lines, Rocker panels, all suspension redone, brakes/rotars/pads replaced, 2 inch lift in the front, 1.5inch spacers on all 4 corners, 285/70/17r A/T tires installed, rear hatch repainted, water pump/hose replaced, all spark plugs/ignition coils replaced, back up cam added, after market touch screen added and connected to back up cam, Bluetooth microphone installed for wireless/hands free capability, after market headlight/tail light housings installed, gold pinstriping 4x4 decal added (was white when I purchased) finally running boards removed to make it look taller!

Not done more to come regular maintenance done on time, every time and documented also!

20201209_123115.jpg

20201229_090206.png

20201209_123100.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I started this thread a year ago, when I hit 200,000 miles. Haven’t had to drive much with sheltering in place for COVID avoidance. It just hit 201,500 and have the spent the year catching up on all my service maintenance items. Replaced the tires a couple of weeks ago. Read through my records and figured out the serpentine belt has never been replaced so I did that myself (That wasn’t hard a all). While I had the throttle body cover off and the air filter holder, I checked all the wires looms and vacuum lines and cleaned everything up and replaced anything that needed attention. Paid my local mechanic to drop my AT pan and replace fluids and filter (I’ve done this on my other cars myself and it always becomes far more messy than you plan).

So I am good to go. It’s given me something fun and interesting to do in my spare time. I feel I’ve accomplished much and know I couldn’t have done as much without the great help and advice here from other forum members. Just hoping I can get another few years of service out of my 2003 Ford Expedition that I bought new in November 2002.

Mako825

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I started this thread a year ago, when I hit 200,000 miles. Haven’t had to drive much with sheltering in place for COVID avoidance. It just hit 201,500 and have the spent the year catching up on all my service maintenance items. Replaced the tires a couple of weeks ago. Read through my records and figured out the serpentine belt has never been replaced so I did that myself (That wasn’t hard a all). While I had the throttle body cover off and the air filter holder, I checked all the wires looms and vacuum lines and cleaned everything up and replaced anything that needed attention. Paid my local mechanic to drop my AT pan and replace fluids and filter (I’ve done this on my other cars myself and it always becomes far more messy than you plan).

So I am good to go. It’s given me something fun and interesting to do in my spare time. I feel I’ve accomplished much and know I couldn’t have done as much without the great help and advice here from other forum members. Just hoping I can get another few years of service out of my 2003 Ford Expedition that I bought new in November 2002.

Mako825

I also had my local shop service the rear differential.

All in the spirit of keeping it maintained so it’ll keep on trucking!

Mako825

dano

Reaction score
Hello, I've got an 05' Limited, with 197K. I wished I could have kept it in half as good as shape as I've read some of you have, but with numerous medical situation amongst members of my family, I have been unable to keep her in proper order. I'd really like to get her back into shape, but with the amount of work she need, I may be better off with buying a new ride. Currently, it could use: timing set, coils, plugs, a/c compressor and one of the lines, lower radiator support, rocker panels, lower control arms, brake lines, a new drivers seat, rear captain chair arm rests, cruise control buttons (cleaned from what I've been seeing). The thing of it is, 89% of the work, I could do myself, and have 85% of the tools I need to do it! Just no $$ to do it with. With it needing all that, it still drives really good.

BITUSA

Reaction score
'03 EB 5.4 4x4 - 158,600.
Great vehicle, bought new, so glad we got it nearly 18 years ago. The only issues we've had: (1) needed to replace driver's window regulator twice -- first replacement purchased was Dorman, it lasted less than a year, second replacement was Motorcraft and it's going just fine after 6 years; (2) replaced the rear a/c actuator; (3) replaced the driver's side front wheel bearing; (4) a new set of spark plugs; (5) a new set of rotors and several cycles of replacing brake pads, obviously; & (6) lastly, it's currently in need of an a/c compressor replacement (it's the original one), which I plan to do in the near future.

Love my Expedition, and will certainly stay in the Ford family when it's time to purchase a new "truck" which I hope won't be necessary for several more years.