How to add water to the battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Black the AGM batteries are still wet/acid with a thin fiberglass absorbing it. The biggest advantage is it's ability of a charge that's five times faster than a regular lead/acid battery. It also can deep cycle, which is great if you like listening to your stereo, or run the DVD player for hours. Harley supplies all their bikes with them for some time now. Overall the ones on the bikes we're pretty trouble free in my fleet. I always kept a few new ones charged and ready. I'm sure the price on a new Motorcraft or Interstate isn't cheap. My guess around $250-$300. As far as your question, when do I change mine? Depends, if your not experiencing a problem, 5-7 years? No 2 people or vehicle wears the same. I see why Ford changed the battery with the Auotmatic starter in 18. A regular lead acid I don't believe would hold up. I would think it would get hot. Curious how heavy duty the starters are compared to say a 2017 model?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@1955moose I was referring to a tradition wet cell battery. No more corrosion and while they can still explode they are far less likely to.
The AGMs handle vibrations far better.
They are a touch more expensive and a traditional battery charger should not be used. I much prefer them.
I paid $150 for the NAPA Legends I bought for my wife’s Highlander and the Sienna I had shortly before the Expedition.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use interstates agm battery in everything now. And yes that auto auto stop start thing is a farse. Get an auto stop eliminator.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having a battery explode is a scary thing. Luckily I never had it happen to me. All the years I filled motorcycle batteries, I never was comfortable working with acid. When I was young in the early 70's, we filled car batteries too. They came to us dry, like cycle batteries. Lost a few pair of jeans back then. Wondered why they had little holes after I washed them. I'd heard that about the chargers were different for glass mat batteries. During the winter when our Harley's would sit for weeks at a time, we put battery tenders on them. Probably wasn't the right charger for them, but they started every time. We got rid of the bikes every year, so it really didn't matter.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the topic of exploding batteries is at hand, any time you smell rotten eggs around the battery it is an indication of excessive gassing (hydrogen). This usually occurs when there is an internal short between the plates. We are talking Big Bang here and it isn't a theory. Best thing to do is let it go, don't try to save your vehicle. One spark as you disconnect the cable and boom. The ER bill will be pretty high if you get covered in acid.

Think about it. What PPE are you wearing while changing a battery? Usually none.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I not sure for a tender there is much of a difference for AGM batteries.
Full strength chargers there certainly is. I have a Schumacher that has numerous selections for charging of different battery types.

Schumacher FR01235 2/12/30/100A 6/12V Automatic Battery Charger with Engine Start https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756QKZPF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4Yj7Cb4TR1KZX

As for the battery exploding we were lucky it was on startup and the hood closed.
No damage to anything but the battery and hold down. Lots of clean up.