How to Validate Axle Ratio/Type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I don't have the drive lock on the drive mode selector and I've not looked at the differential itself. Totally confusing to me why there is a discrepancy between the window sticker and the axle ID.

You could have your salesperson look up the vehicle’s build in the Ford computer system, to determine exactly what you have.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is confusing, yours should say 2L. Curious, how do you know it's a non ELSD vs a ELSD?
The window sticker says non ELSD 3.73 axle. And I don't have the button by the drive mode ****. It's definitely not ELSD. Here's a pic of the door label.
Screenshot_20210712-162147_Gallery.jpg

bcb97

Reaction score
The window sticker says non ELSD 3.73 axle. And I don't have the button by the drive mode ****. It's definitely not ELSD. Here's a pic of the door label.
View attachment 69388
What button? If your referring to the electronic locking differential, then per the Ford towing guide no expedition comes with a button to lock the rear differential. A LSD and a electronic locker are two different things. LSD will engage the other wheel automatically when the driver wheel (passenger side tire) spins. An electronic locking differential is an open differential. When one tire spins, you have to press the button to lock the rear so that the driver side rear tire wheel will spin. Only the trucks and bronco have the electronic locker, not the SUVs.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What button? If your referring to the electronic locking differential, then per the Ford towing guide no expedition comes with a button to lock the rear differential. A LSD and a electronic locker are two different things. LSD will engage the other wheel automatically when the driver wheel (passenger side tire) spins. An electronic locking differential is an open differential. When one tire spins, you have to press the button to lock the rear so that the driver side rear tire wheel will spin. Only the trucks and bronco have the electronic locker, not the SUVs.
From page 214 of the 2019 manual. 05E77C88-6DB3-40A7-B514-9FB737179044.jpeg

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, there's a button to lock the diff if you have ELSD. I don't have the button. Oh, and here's my window sticker.

Attachments

• 20210714_205413.jpg
    20210714_205413.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 23

bcb97

Reaction score
Check this thread below out on the subject. The Expeditions do not have a locker, only the eLSD which is completely automatic and does not require any input from the driver. No expedition has a locker button contrary to what the manual says. Only a F150, F250, and Bronco has the button. Unfortunately manuals cannot be taken for gold. I bought the wrong LED bulbs for my halogen headlights based off of what the manual stated. The low beam and high beam bulb type were backwards than what the manual says. I ended up writing Ford about it.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check this thread below out on the subject. The Expeditions do not have a locker, only the eLSD which is completely automatic and does not require any input from the driver. No expedition has a locker button contrary to what the manual says. Only a F150, F250, and Bronco has the button. Unfortunately manuals cannot be taken for gold. I bought the wrong LED bulbs for my halogen headlights based off of what the manual stated. The low beam and high beam bulb type were backwards than what the manual says. I ended up writing Ford about it.

[QUOTE="bcb97, post: 443245, member: 70169"] -diff-true-4wd-etc.45802/ [/QUOTE]

You are wrong. The 18-21 Expeditions do have a button to engage ELSD. Here is a pic.20210715_145628.jpg

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You are wrong. The 18-21 Expeditions do have a button to engage ELSD. Here is a pic.View attachment 69441
Yup not sure what all the hype is about regarding a locker button. I have the Heavy tow pack 3.73 with push button rear locker. I do recall Ford adding a 3rd axle option 3.73 only lower cost no elocker. Ford realized that the Expedition pricing was too high for many given the few Limiteds with a 3.73 made were first to sell off the lots. They even dropped the 3rd row seat in the lower trims to help cut prices.
So yeah 3.73 hd gear set can be had without the more costly elocker.

But regardless the Expedition 100% has an elocker option. Most Platinums and all the FX trims have it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup not sure what all the hype is about regarding a locker button. I have the Heavy tow pack 3.73 with push button rear locker. I do recall Ford adding a 3rd axle option 3.73 only lower cost no elocker. Ford realized that the Expedition pricing was too high for many given the few Limiteds with a 3.73 made were first to sell off the lots. They even dropped the 3rd row seat in the lower trims to help cut prices.
So yeah 3.73 hd gear set can be had without the more costly elocker.

But regardless the Expedition 100% has an elocker option. Most Platinums and all the FX trims have it.

Not may Platniums had it when I was shopping them in 2018.....

bcb97

Reaction score

You are wrong. The 18-21 Expeditions do have a button to engage ELSD. Here is a pic.View attachment 69441
Well I stand corrected. My apologies. After further research, I was trying to compare these rear differentials to the same systems that the F150 has but, that's incorrect. I didn't realize these Expeditions have an eLSD and Locker capability built into one differential. That really makes me ask the question, why they wouldn't put this differential in the F150's to give best of both worlds with an LSD and locker.

Again, my apologies.