How would disengaging the cruise control make the transmission not engage after?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was driving home when I started noticing that whenever I would disengage
the cruise control it would not accelerate and just rev as if stuck in neutral. I
would pull over and put in park, then put it back in drive and it would be fine.
Then after the third time, it will not engage any gear now and when I try and go
to put in back in park I hear a grinding noise come from infront of me under the
dash. I think it might be electrical but need help.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like something electrical. Run a codes check, tell us what pops up. Please year, model, and engine/transmission. Helps narrow down problem. Any check engine light on? If pre 2007, pull trans dipstick check level and if it smells burnt.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
curtisjmoody86
Reaction score
It's a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4. The transmission was flushed and replaced 2 years ago when I bought it, a new transmission pan seal and pan was put on about 3 months ago. I do believe it now has a leak from the seal between the transfer case and transmission. Working on getting a code reader to read the codes even though there is no check engine light on.

OP
OP
curtisjmoody86
Reaction score
UPDATE: I purchased an OBD II code reader that can also read transmission and ABS codes and nothing popped. Still extremely confused as to the issue, but think it could be a bad PCM. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
curtisjmoody86
Reaction score
To clarify, when the issue started, it was right after disengaging the cruise control using the brake which is when the transmission wasn't engaging until I pulled over and put into park.

OP
OP
curtisjmoody86
Reaction score
UPDATE: I took it in to have it looked by a proper mechanic and after they hooked it up to their diagnostic machine found that the transmission is operating exactly as it should, he said he was actually really surprised to see that had little to no paticulates in the fluid. He came to the conclusion that it must be something within the transfer case and so getting it out and inspected is the next step.