Hypermiling the 3.5.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And you went up to what size again? Remind me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone needs to relax, myself included. The forum has been high tension lately and we are all butting heads.... is there a master reset on this thing?;)

Damn, missed this yesterday......Nope, no Reset button... it was last seen being repeatedly pounded by a babbling HRC last Nov 10th.....LOL

Glad all calmed down....and folks should remember, that there is a huge difference between someone being willing to put in the effort to help out other members, and a know-it-all. Just because it came up and it involves a friend.... I've also spoke on the phone with my buddy Andy and he asks a lot more questions then he proposes answers...that's a sure sign that whoever made that statement was clueless...he does however put in the effort, more then most and certainly more than I do, to help other members.....I think that's a virtue, not a fault.

jeff

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It can be done. On a 300 mile 95% hwy trip I was able to get some darn good numbers. But as soon as I had to get off and do some city driving, it dropped off to 22.9 but I held it there for the rest of the day. I had a decent load of audio gear speakers etc a couple of car seats but it was just me as far as passengers. Running 93 octane and cruise set to 60 mph for almost all of the trip except the very end in Indiana. Speed limit was 60 and I dropped cruise to 57 mph. Ambient temp was 25°F.
9c77a59a6a784d9f9d414ad04b36b102.jpg2381dcece69082129b1b0b0e13287bd7.jpg

Those are great numbers compared to my 18.3 avg mpg.

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my trip today in the Prius over 142 miles so far netted me 50mpg. Definitely nothing fun about a Prius but it’s fun to spend the saved money on other things [emoji857] that being said, I miss my truck. I miss my comfy heated seats, I miss my satellite radio, I miss my very hushed cabin (this car is loud inside). I miss my commanding view...nothing makes you love your Expedition more than driving a Prius. Mileage isn’t everything [emoji15]
b9865f474c3e7d93df3ce61899eda6cc.jpg

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The Prius has the most efficient ballistic coefficient of any modern car. Compared to the brick shape of our Expeditions it's no surprise our mileage is much lower. :)

My overall mileage from new according to the computer is just over 16 mpg. This is mainly suburban driving below 50 mph these days. I noticed the gearbox stays in 5 a lot during this driving and seems to only goes to 6 above 60 (not me, officer, it must have been that other black SUV ;) ).

-- Chuck

Last edited:

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 0 DTE and/or low gas warning lights are supposed to leave a reserve to get to a gas station.

We are not on this but the F150 is. Here is a chart for approximately how far you have after hitting 0 DTE or gas light coming on. Never rely on it but helps calm nerves when I have inadvertently hit it. https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-far-can-you-drive-your-vehicle-on-empty-by-brady-klopfer

Muddy, very interesting! Those are great numbers for sure!

I have a hard time not going 70 to 75mph so I don't think I'll ever see those, but still, it's good to know the truck is capable of it.

Concerning the trip computer, I was in a situation a few weeks ago where the low fuel alert managed to get to 0 miles to empty and I was still able to get to the closest gas station about 8 miles further away. I put 31.437 gallons into the tank. So there were still approx two gallons remaining. I'm not sure all of that was usable but I bet I still had 10 to 15 miles more I could have driven if I had to. Just to be clear, I almost always keep my tank full and hate to have it less than half, but this was an unusual circumstance.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah right. No other cars or trucks on the road...I doubt it. I have had my cruise set a 71 and come up behind some jerk going 55. It is dangerous. Most states it is illegal to go 5 under the speed limit.

In California even when the speed limit for cars is 70 mph the limit for 3 axles or more and trailering is 55 mph. This weekend I took my daughter to pick up some of her stuff she left behind when she moved. Maximum enforcement for the holiday weekend so set the cruise at 67. They were ticketing at 70 in the 65. ~90 miles highway, 6-7 City. Ends up with 20.2 on the trip meter is reset right before. Better than the minivan I had 3 cars ago. ‘06 Dodge Caravan with the 3.4 V6

This is in a 2016 XLT EL 4wd with HD Towing. Not towing anything but had her cruiser bicycle strapped to the roof rack on the way back wrapped in a canvas drop cloth.

EDIT: Posted from my phone originally. It should be holiday weekend not home day weekend.

Last edited: