Intermittent misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josephmast94

Reaction score
Suppose to be heading back home from the coast today but just had the check engine light come on on the way to the ramp to take the boat out. Engine stumbled and felt like a major misfire but then got better and hasn't done it since. Any help would be appreciated. There are no shops open now and we already got the hotel for another night but I would like to get it figured out asap. Injectors, Plugs, and COP are brand new as of 5/20. 2005 expedition EB 170,000 miles
Here are the codes:
P0301
P0351
P0354
P2270

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check for a coolant leak off the heater pipe shaped like a T. And you haven't washed the engine bay have you?

Misfires around #1-2-3 are usually coolant leaks that seep into plug wells (coolant never evaporates and just sits there). Or engine washing, which is never a good idea.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, the PCM is getting error signals from the #1 and #4 coils. That's giving you those other few codes as well. I don't know if you have a 7mm wrench or socket with you to swap coils around or replace them while you're on the road. But very often coolant leaks that drip down into those sparkplug wells will cause these coil problems. Take a bright flashlight and look around the passenger side valve cover area for any coolant leaks from the heater hoses or the coolant crossover near cylinder #1 (where that aluminum crossover meets the intake...). But all these error codes are on the passenger side of the motor. The very front cylinder is #1 and the very rear cylinder is #4 .

OP
OP
J

josephmast94

Reaction score
Check for a coolant leak off the heater pipe shaped like a T. And you haven't washed the engine bay have you?

Misfires around #1-2-3 are usually coolant leaks that seep into plug wells (coolant never evaporates and just sits there). Or engine washing, which is never a good idea.

I have not washed it but I has been raining nonstop for the past 4 or 5 days and I have been driving all around. I swapped out the 2 coils for new ones. The boots weren't wet but had this whiteish residue on both. Headed home now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Some professional advice concerning Ford Coil diagnostics, which cause the codes you mentioned to be tripped by you ECU. Not rocket science.

Reaction score
Your codes
P0301 and P2270 are caused by the non functioning coils P0351,0354 on cylinders 1 and 4... maybe bad coils, but also could be wire harness issues.... a NOID light would confirm a harness failure.

you can make your own Emergency NOID light using an LED 194 bulb and socket or wire and tape, if you don't have a socket. It can validate ECU pulse modulation at the coil wire

One wire on the coil will be 12v constant (same color on all the coils). The other wire will be ECU controlled ground. The test light should pulse with the engine running.
Be sure to disconnect the fuel injection wire for the cylinder you are testing (to not load raw fuel into the Cat) and only test one cylinder at a time.

this is a very limited description to point in the right direction only. For details look up references such as Makuloco...