IWE's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just replaced both sides front hubs with new Timkens,
only to find I'm still getting some noise.
Found out it could be the IWE's, even though I didn't think
the teeth looked bad when I installed the new hubs.
When I test them and the solenoid for vacuum, if I find out they are bad,
is it possible that they could have prematurely damaged the new Timken hubs?
Can metal particles work their way into the sealed hubs?
I noticed that the small set of rollers at the very front behind
the grease cup/13MM nut are exposed.

Thanks

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am no good knowledge-wise with the newer system of engaging the hubs, but I will say you shouldn't have to worry about the hubs being damaged. I would be more concerned about the CV axles in case you have a ripped boot.

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's just it. There are no ripped CV boots and my experience with worn CV's
is that they make a clicking noise. I'm going to check the IWE's now, and rotate
the tires. I just hope it ain't rear bearing noise that sounds like it's coming from the front or worse, that the new Timkens are faulty. Gonna use my new stethoscope while the truck's in the air. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I checked the IWE's as per this very helpful You Tube:Ford IWE system - YouTube
Up to 30 i/p on the vacuum gauge and the wheels wouldn't disengage from the drivetrain. So I guess I've been running around the last 14K miles with all that stuff turning and wasting gas. With the vacuum line disconnected from the hub and the engine running, I don't feel or hear any vacuum in the line either. With all or four wheel drive engaged this should be how it is. So that may be another issue and I will have to check the solenoid or see if the vacuum line is disconnected once I find it.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know who is right. I know that on my 2005 BOTH of my front axles turn in 4wd or 2wd. So maybe mine is screwed up and I don't know it. This is what Alldata says

End (IWE) System

The integrated wheel end (IWE) system contains the following:

•Vacuum reservoir
•IWE solenoid
•IWEs (spring loaded vacuum hubs)
•Vacuum hoses
•Check valve

The IWE system uses vacuum hubs that engage the front wheel hubs to the front halfshafts or disengage the front wheel hubs from the front halfshafts.

The IWE solenoid receives engine vacuum from the vacuum reservoir.

When the 4-wheel drive system is in 2WD mode, the 4x4 module (PCM) supplies a ground path to the IWE solenoid to apply vacuum to the integrated wheel ends (disengaging the front hubs from the front halfshafts). In 4WD mode, the 4x4 module (PCM) does not supply the ground path to the IWE solenoid, vacuum is not applied to the integrated wheel ends and an internal spring keeps the front hubs engaged to the front halfshafts.

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just replace the solenoid.. approx. $30, and it is an easy fix :)

Applying vacuum to the actuators independent of the truck's vacuum system and solenoid doesn't disengage the wheel from the driveline. Am I missing something or isn't that the basic test of the IWE's themselves? If just the solenoid, that would be great.

Also, I've been reading that once this problem is licked, I'll be seeing about a 3 MPG gain across the board. Makes sense in that a great deal of driveline drag will be eliminated. There are a lot of threads on this forum about how could we get better fuel mileage. I was unaware of the problem for 14K miles of driving until changing my hubs and getting the noise. Rocketvette95 sounds like he might not have been aware too. So there might be a bunch of us that can see a substantial mileage gain by checking these.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I am very confused !! So is there anybody out there that can positively say that the front driveshafts DO NOT SPIN IN 2WD.
Also am I or is Alldata wrong???? Does the front IWE have to have vacuum to be engaged or disengaged

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's true that the front wheels should be free wheelin' without being connected to the halfshafts and front diff. Just like those manual hubs of old 4x4's, which these IWE's replace.
After the Alldata you posted explains the solenoid, it does say that when vacuum is applied in 2WD mode, the front wheels should freewheel independent of the drivetrain. Mine do not. And when I apply vacuum with my son's Blue Point pump, which is brand new and a decent unit, they still don't. So I may have to replace both actuators, the solenoid, some check valves, vacuum reservoir box and maybe even some hose. It was pointed out on the F150 forum that maybe even the vent hoses get clogged. So all that needs to be tested for me to get the system to work properly.

OP
OP
D

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the 4-wheel drive system is in 2WD mode, the 4x4 module (PCM) supplies a ground path to the IWE solenoid to apply vacuum to the integrated wheel ends (disengaging the front hubs from the front halfshafts). In 4WD mode, the 4x4 module (PCM) does not supply the ground path to the IWE solenoid, vacuum is not applied to the integrated wheel ends and an internal spring keeps the front hubs engaged to the front halfshafts.

That says it all right there. I don't think that is wrong, but rather an accurate explanation.