just how far can you go after zero miles to empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's funny as heck....PB...."yes i was puckering when it was reading zero miles for close to 2 miles"

Closest I ever got was 9....and my stress level was completely out of proportion to the actual consequence of running out of gas. LOL

At least now, I'll have reason for hope!

jeff

yep not something i routinely do, it just happened in relation to other events that were causal factors to getting me back home at 12 miles

i did one run the bus to where the LOW fuel light came on, road construction and exit ramps closed due to a huge pile up.. we hold 100 gallons, and when i did get to a station it took 96. gave me a pause. much longer and lots of folks would have needed road side help. best planning can never account for the unforseen on a sunday afternoon.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That doesn’t provide much evidence besides one case and an opinion....what about the cars with externally mounted electric fuel pumps? my dad always has run his trucks down to zero. He ran his ‘08 E-350 van for 220,000 miles always running the tank to empty. Fuel pump never failed. He sold the truck to a plumber who daily drives it today at 250,000 miles get this....on the original fuel pump

Surely, the design of externally-mounted electric fuel pumps would take this into consideration... as in a stronger motor (if it's mounted on top of the tank) and adequate thermal dissipation. If it's mounted at the bottom of the tank, then motor strength is a moot point since fuel will always flow into it and keep it primed. I never owned a vehicle with an external fuel pump, though... so can't comment beyond basic physics.

Anyway, you can do what you like with your truck. I'd rather put gas in mine before it goes below 1/4 of a tank. The fact that Motorcraft fuel pumps can take a beating (that is true, their design is very good) is no reason to abuse them as far as I'm concerned.

The good news is that, should the fuel pump ever give up the ghost, Ford will always remain more than happy to sell you a new one.

;)

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve always heard the same thing about not running around with 1/4 tank or less all the time because it’s not only hard on in tank fuel pumps but also kills the sending unit (old style float with rheostat). The gas lubricants the rheostat when float slides up and down. This has been told to me by my old Ford Tech long time friend also. Is there any truth to it ....???? I do know that my step daughters Audi just died and the shops diagnoses was bad fuel pump. I think the car has under 60,000 mi. on it and I know she is notorious for only putting $10 in at a time and not filling it up. I know! I know she’s driving around in an Audi and can’t afford to fill it up WTF!!! I can only lead the horse to water but I can’t make it drink.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have always run way below a quarter without issue. But that is cause I can always go to the station that is 3 blocks from my house to fill up. Not my preference, but can.

When I am road tripping I generally fill up before I get to a 1/4, because of those unforeseen circumstances.

I have had diesels, both Ford and VW, and plenty of gas cars.

All run close to E for probably 3/4 of their miles.

1993 Miata was turned into a Spec Miata with 203K on the odometer with original pump...actually most original parts!

2006 F250 140K when I sold it. Original Pump, still going strong and it is over 200K now. Now MANY of its parts were replaced or removed...but it was a 6.0 after all!

2006 Jetta TDI 165K when I sold it, original pump. I always ran this thing to E, always. I swear it would go forever on a teaspoon of diesel. Averaged 45MPG tuned with aggressive tires. Miss that car!!!

2013 Passat TDI, 96K, VW Buyback, original pump. I logged this car like crazy. It’s pump was routinely run hard because of tuning and other mods. Miss this one too. Got a ton of money in the buyback, but should have kept it.

In this thread we have mentioned 2 Chevys, and an Audi having issues with fuel pumps. Maybe theirs are weak? Maybe the fuel has nothing to do with it. Maybe they improved the design when they put the replacement in?

Do I think running below a 1/4 is an issue in modern Fords, NOPE. Do I think running dry is bad for a pump, heck yeah.

Bottom line. E(Zero to go) in the 15-17 Expy means you can probably do 30+ miles in average driving. Should you push it, no. Moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ran my 2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer down to Zero Miles to E to test this. Took a total of 29 gallons to fill. My owners manual states the fuel tank is 33.5 gallons. 33.5 gallons-29 gallons to fill up equals 4.5ish gallons of reserve for 2007-2014 Expedition EL models. 4.5 gallons times MPG.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep doing whatever works for you, I guess.

I'm reluctant to change my ways on this because of how much of a PITA dropping a tank on a domestic truck is. Asian trucks (Nissans, etc) have - or at least used to have, on the ones we owned in the family - an access hatch under the rear seat for the fuel pump, making a replacement procedure like a 10 minute job. But unfortunately the "Big Three" aren't interested in making things any easier for you, the owner.

When I helped swap out that fuel pump on the GMC, we actually Dremeled an access hatch in the floor of the truck, under the rear seat / carpet (no lift available + it was winter & cold). It worked out pretty good and the pump was swapped out without dropping the tank, plus it will be a breeze to replace if it ever goes again. A typical fuel pump job on one of these is one of those jobs where labor is much more than the actual part...

It's Murphy's law for when these damn things decide to break, I tells ya...

;)

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Years back I bought a used Aerostar passenger van that the fuel gauge didn’t work and had a very loud fuel pump. I went to a pick and pull yard and cut a hole in the floor of a cargo Aerostar van with a hammer and sharp wood chisel to access the top of the tank and remove the pump. I picked a cargo van as the donor so I didn’t have carpet or seats to deal with. My buddy that went with me thought I was a genius for doing it that way. Why lay in the mud under a junker.
When I helped swap out that fuel pump on the GMC, we actually Dremeled an access hatch in the floor of the truck, under the rear seat / carpet (no lift available + it was winter & cold).
When I helped swap out that fuel pump on the GMC, we actually Dremeled an access hatch in the floor of the truck, under the rear seat / carpet (no lift available + it was winter & cold). It worked out pretty good and the pump was swapped out without dropping the tank, plus it will be a breeze to replace if it ever goes again.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Years back I bought a used Aerostar passenger van that the fuel gauge didn’t work and had a very loud fuel pump. I went to a pick and pull yard and cut a hole in the floor of a cargo Aerostar van with a hammer and sharp wood chisel to access the top of the tank and remove the pump. I picked a cargo van as the donor so I didn’t have carpet or seats to deal with. My buddy that went with me thought I was a genius for doing it that way. Why lay in the mud under a junker.

Exactly. Why they won't put an access hatch for the fuel pump on every car & truck is beyond me.

Well, actually it isn't... because I know why : $$$! :mad:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. Why they won't put an access hatch for the fuel pump on every car & truck is beyond me.

Well, actually it isn't... because I know why : $$$! :mad:
Because people will hide their pot there and cause a fire hazard....Lol.... I miss that old Aerostar! I had taken the seats out one weekend and rolled home with a riding mower I bought at a yard sale up in it. It was the extended version and would haul 8 ft. stuff. It was a light metallic brown.... We called it the Brownstar ....Lol!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vans are greatly underestimated by most of us...until we use one!!

Tons of protected space!

Wait a minute, pot is illegal, but "medicine" isn't? LOL

jeff