Let's See Those Lifted / Big Tire Gen 4s!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have only been lifted for about 3 weeks now. My first trip off-road trail riding is next week so I will report out on how that goes.
But as far as everyday drivability here’s my take:
I did the ReadyLift and the rear sway bar and end links all at once. Still had the factory 22’s and factory size tires. I didn’t notice much difference in the front, but the back was much stiffer. For example, going over a speed bump: before my Expy was very squishy when the back went over a speed bump. It felt like the rear shocks went full travel both directions and would continue to bounce up and down MANY times after going over it. After the lift and sway bar, the rear end felt much more truck-like: The compression was less, and the rebound was immediate and solidly planted the rear tires back at normal spring height. It was a trade off. Much improved handling and responsiveness (far less bobble head and porpoising) but harsher ride in the back even in eco mode.

Then I replaced the front sway bar and end links when it finally came in and any doubts I had were gone.
The sway bars are the answer.
If all you are doing is the ReadyLift then I don’t think you will notice much change in your CCD performance at all. But make sure you IMMEDIATELY get it aligned AND get the CCD shocks reprogrammed for the new ride height.
The sway bars and end links will make the small bumps more noticeable but anything you give up in floaty Cadillac ride is more than made up for with the improved driving dynamics and eliminating the bobble head/porpoising.

To finish up my transformation I replaced my 22’s with 18’s, and went from the factory 32.1 inch tire to a 34.3 inch E-rated Nitto.
As stunned as I was after the installing the front sway bar, the transformation after the new wheel/tires was equally amazing.
I went from having 5 inches of sidewall to over 8 inches of sidewall.
This completely eliminates small bump harshness and it just crushes road imperfections and potholes.
I leave CCD in normal mode and this thing is just a dream to drive now. It has serious truck toughness now but still a smooth supple ride thanks to the HUGE Nittos. I have zero rub front or back, still plenty of travel, and no topping out. Haven’t tested it off-road yet, but I will take some pictures in Moab and Sand Dune National park in the next 2 weeks and let you know.

It’s no Raptor, but I’m really happy with it for the first time ever really. Probably the only way to do better with this truck is a full custom ICON suspension costing 4-5 times as much, and you still would have locked in warning lights from the CCD-delete and probably be cutting body panels also.

In summary: the factory sway bars are junk and the 22’s make it ride like $hit. Get rid of both of those. Want to add 3-4 inches of ground clearance? The ReadyLift and bigger tires do a nice job with minimal impact to ride.
Great write-up! Never even thought of doing a lift until reading this. Also, the pic you posted is pretty amazing. Think my wife would go nuts if I tried to take our Expy over a stretch of "road" like that. Thanks for sharing.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. Been having fun on this trip for sure. My wife was actually egging me on.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Killer shot, any vid's of the Expy in action?
Unfortunately no, just still shots. I will upload some more when I get some down time. I only got that shot because I started walking sideways and stopped to engage 4 low. I slowly started walking it up and the front just stood up. I knew I had the front right in the air so put the brake on to climb out and take a look at it. I had no idea it was that high so I had to grab a shot.
If you look, you’ll see my running board out. I cringed as soon as I opened the door to climb out I was lucky it didn’t hit anything. I turned them off the rest of the day.

Jacob Taylor

Reaction score
Show Off Your Lifted and Big Tire Gen 4s!!

Spoke to the moderator, and this is going to be made a sticky so let's see all your pics of your lifted / or bigger tire Gen 4s!

Please show your best pics, and add as much technical data as you can, as other folks will come here for info!

2020 Ford Expedition XLT FX4
Lift : Bilstein 5100 F150 struts/5100 Expedition rear shocks (2 inches of lift all around--for now)

Tires :Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70-18 (34.3 inch tall 11.7 wide) and it does fit in spare well deflated

Rims: Factory FX4, .25 inch spacers for increased offset (for now)

Does it poke? No

Does it rub? Yup, fronts during normal driving and rear has almost no clearance. Have not fully flexed it yet but control arms will touch front springs during full droop.

View attachment 68510

View attachment 68511

View attachment 68512

View attachment 68513

View attachment 68514

View attachment 68515

Attachments

• 20210626_105544.jpg
    20210626_105544.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 365

etbene

Reaction score