Lifting a 4th Gen Expedition Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Ehrhardt

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition Max Limited and wanted to lift it slightly and move up to 33s. I don't want to go larger and mess with the ride or wear out the car faster. Taking forest roads at 5 mph gets a bit frustrating and I want to handle serious highway milage comfortably (just finished a 3,500 mile trip over two weeks).

I believe there's options with an ICON suspension for $4-5k, ready lift spacing kit for $400, and possibly installing lifted shock absorbers like Bilstein 5100s for <$800 for 4 (not sure what additional hardware would be necessary). I've called around a few local shops east of Seattle and folks seem a bit inexperienced with lifting Expeditions and I'm personally not well versed in lifting trucks in general. One shop quoted close to $2k for installing the ready lift kit, which seemed insane, and another overland shop was recommending against lifting the expedition (they seem to be a toyota shop and didn't want to lift something that heavy).

Questions:
1. Is there any references & recommendations across all the options?
2. Does anyone have a recommended shop to get a lift installed?
3. What do you think the various budget should be (I'm assuming $1k for tires, $1k for wheels, and ??? for a decent lift).

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
J.E., I am facing the same deep questions.

From my 60 days of research, it seems the "setup" for us that won't make your CVs too unhappy and Ford Service Managers bowels all a-quiver, are the Bilstein EXPDITION 5100 shocks, W/O load leveling, and on our G4s, have been told to me to generate 1.5 inches of honest lift equally fore/aft just from the shock change.

I am satisfied that this will not screw up the stance/CV/etc. and still allow some off-road prowess (the coil pucks are supposedly not so good off-road) with the same or slightly less articulation, and should easily fit slightly wider 33's on factory rims and some--or most--narrow 34s **maybe** with factory rims. You may need a .25 inch- .5 inch wheel spacer for proper room and offset--I am slightly out of my range here as of yet.

35s are "do-able" but will more than likely require some trimming/cutting and possible wheel offset changes--maybe even some tire "poke" to get it done.

I would think 37s would require all of the above to work with only a 1.5 inch shock lift. This is where the coil pucks can help get bigger tires in for cheap (the 3inch/2inch lifts) but your off-road will suffer--and CVs.

***If anyone here knows better on this, please mention your experiences, add pictures with the wheels and wheel wells showing, and detail your mods please***

I would consider the ICONS except for the price and I don't know if they properly address the CV angles, control arms, etc both front and rear properly. Also, the higher you lift the rear, the closer the wheel moves towards the front, which with bigger tires can look a bit wonky. Also, back to the S.M. getting the aforementioned bowel palpitations.

The Bilsteins are on backorder for a long time, so order them if you can now. I went with https://www.jackit.com/ as I believe they still have free shipping and a $50 rebate since the Expy centric shocks are more $$$.

I was planning on doing a complete writeup, upon receipt of the shocks as far as height and ride. But that could be awhile...

YMMV

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience with the 3/2 lift had been great. The limited up travel with the lift is a plus with 35” tires. At full compression twisted to the extreme they hit the inside fenders and almost stick in the fender wells on the rear. 37’s would hit the body and crush it for sure. 33’s would be the better option, but you would loose a inch of ground clearance. I have the CCD’s and don’t want to loose them. If I was to give them up I would go for the Icon for the quality, adjustments and the ability to have them custom valved if I didn’t like where they are from the factory.

As far as off-roading you can get off a 1’ ledge with a little scraping the front bumper and rear of the front tires and power running boards. When I come off the back I hit my hitch that I leave in. Anything more than that you drag the entire car over the ledge. It’s just to big for anything other than dirt roads with a few bad spots. That is fine for me as we are just getting to a trail head or campsite. Have other toys for the real stuff.

As far as my service manager goes. They haven’t said a thing other than how awesome my rig is and how well it’s been put together. Last trip in for the oil change and front camera sprayer leak they asked if they could take it to the front of the store and show everyone. One sales man was showing it to a couple and got the info on what I did as they want to put one on the lot with a lift. So it depends on your dealership I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 Plat Exp

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition Max Limited and wanted to lift it slightly and move up to 33s. I don't want to go larger and mess with the ride or wear out the car faster. Taking forest roads at 5 mph gets a bit frustrating and I want to handle serious highway milage comfortably (just finished a 3,500 mile trip over two weeks).

I believe there's options with an ICON suspension for $4-5k, ready lift spacing kit for $400, and possibly installing lifted shock absorbers like Bilstein 5100s for <$800 for 4 (not sure what additional hardware would be necessary). I've called around a few local shops east of Seattle and folks seem a bit inexperienced with lifting Expeditions and I'm personally not well versed in lifting trucks in general. One shop quoted close to $2k for installing the ready lift kit, which seemed insane, and another overland shop was recommending against lifting the expedition (they seem to be a toyota shop and didn't want to lift something that heavy).

Questions:
1. Is there any references & recommendations across all the options?
2. Does anyone have a recommended shop to get a lift installed?
3. What do you think the various budget should be (I'm assuming $1k for tires, $1k for wheels, and ??? for a decent lift).

You can fit a 33.5" tire on stock suspension without a lift will give you little more ground clearance and not effect highway ride or mpgs much.

Im running 275 70 18 and another gentleman on here is running a 285 70 18 on stock fx4 wheels mine are method 18s with a +18mm offset. My wheels plus tires were under 2k to give you an idea on price and as far as the readylift 2k is ridiculous its no more work than replacing a strut.

20200919_132558.jpg

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expanding on this thread, I'm at a point where I need to invest some money to maximize the off-road capability of my 2019 Expedition Max (Gen 4). The goal of doing this would be overlanding. This begs two primary questions:
  1. What are the best modifications to maximize off-road capability?
  2. After spending the money, what are the upper limits of the Expedition's off-road capability, i.e. what can you do and what can't you do with a fully modified Gen 4 Expedition?
The overarching reason for this post is to determine if doing everything in #1 is worth the money to get the performance listed in #2.

Why? Because the large vehicle will carry a lot of equipment with a reasonable level of comfort, and it can do so with great gas mileage (and power) compared to a lot of other offerings. Let's face it, this thing is almost like a van when the seats are folded down. One can sleep inside the vehicle, add a rooftop tent or pull a trailer with ease. And the vehicle is fast - having the same/similar motor to the Raptor. The vehicles also have a pretty good set of electronic controls for off road that help augment capability. Let's remember, most of the miles one would travel while overlanding in America are highway miles, until arriving at your series of trails or camps. Comfort getting there is pretty important.

Why not? Aluminum body means lots of twisting (and potential fatigue). Length is working against you for anything off road (in terms of breakover angle and being able to maneuver). It is very low to the ground for a 4x4. The suspension setup limits the amount of lift one can do before hurting the CVs. Fitting large tires (to solve the clearance issue) may or may not become a bit complicated (or a very bad idea).

Roadmap:
  1. Spend the money and know the limits / benefits of the Expedition. Part of this thread would be to understand where could I go and where couldn't I go in something that was tweaked to the max.
  2. Abort mission and get something like a Land Cruiser or Lexus GX460 that certainly can be modified to go almost anywhere. There is real overlanding support for other vehicles that gain maneuverability and aftermarket support at the cost of size and probably gas mileage.
---------

With that all said, let's talk about what I've seen in this thread and others that can be done to the Gen 4 Expedition, and what that might or might not get us in terms of capability.

Lifts There are really 3 options here.
  1. Spacer type lift (Ready Lift) ~2" to 3" of lift
  2. Shock only lift (Bilstein, Eibach) ~ 1.5" to 2" of lift
  3. Coilovers and control arms (Icon, King) ~ 2" to 2.5" of lift??

Wheels/Tires
  1. 33" to 34" - can easily put bigger tires on the factory rims (18" or 20"), e.g. 275/70/18, 285/70/18, etc.
  2. 34" - Raptor wheels and tires have been popular with some members, e.g. 315/70/17
  3. 35" - custom wheels/tires
I've seen all kinds of opinions about this and don't really have a clear answer on, for example, just how well the Raptor wheels with 34" tires would actually perform off-road.

Bumpers/Body
  • Bumpers/Skids - We can replace the front bumper with something like that offered by LGE-CTS's Baja Forged tubular bumper with skid plate; or we can just trim/remove the front air dam. They used to offer a rear bumper.
  • Flares - Others have added Raptor fender flairs (which look great but seem to be a real hassle to fit).
  • There do not appear to be a lot of aftermarket bumper options to mount winches or to mount equipment.
  • Sliders are equally not seemingly available, although I recall a thread somewhere they were mentioned.
Load capacity/racks

There are roofrack threads where the load capacity of 165 lbs to 200 lbs has been referenced. A rooftop tent weights around 200 lbs, and an awning weighs around 70 lbs. The best options I've found so far are to replace the factory rack and:
  1. Drill Yakima landing pad mounts and install 4 HD cross bars
  2. Install a Front Runner platform (rated around 700 lbs, which is more than the SUV body itself would claim to handle).

Where do I want to go and where can I go?

Let's start with a basic and popular example, something like the Utah Traverse. That's a classic route with some river crossings and a good 60 or so miles of fairly rough roads. What does it take to allow a vehicle like a Gen 4 Expedition Max with a 300 pound tent/awning setup mounted and gear inside to go on that trail? Or is the answer that we would simply destroy it? Lack of recovery gear seems to be a problem when going on a trip like this with a vehicle that's already being pushed.

Summary

Assuming I spent the money for something like King coilovers or the Icon suspension, Raptor wheels and tires, a new bumper and put a large rack on the top where could I go and not go? We've seen a few Youtube guys driving around, but the primary one going places in the Southwest has already said on his videos he wants 35s (but he says he needs a body lift, which is contrary to other threads on this site).

@Fozzy has said he can go over a 1 foot ledge with his lifted Expedition. This quantified description is very very useful. @Fozzy do you think you could to the Utah Traverse in your Expedition?

Long post, but trying to bring together a lot of tire, wheel, lift and other threads into a common area. This thing is called the Expedition, but I'm starting to think my money would be better invested into a Land Cruiser for going on Expeditions.

Last edited:

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Side note: Probably about $16,000 or so to do the full Icon suspension, Raptor wheels, tires, tune, bumper and roof rack.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Side note: Probably about $16,000 or so to do the full Icon suspension, Raptor wheels, tires, tune, bumper and roof rack.

I will have to look at that trail and get back to you. I could go more places with rock sliders and a F@&k it attitude. I still want to keep it fairly nice for trade in or resale. I did order the LGE-CTS front bumper. It was 6-8 weeks out. At the end of the 8 weeks I called on it and they pushed it back 9 more weeks. WTF!, they claim CV-19 and supply chain shortage. I will probably have a Gen5 by the time I get it. If you really want to get into overlanding I would save your money and get something else that is smaller and has more aftermarket options. If they made a 6” lift to get the huge body off the ground a little more it would be very capable. As far as the weight on the roof. I do not know what the actual structural limits are. Most manufacturers are worried about roll overs and added roof weight changes the CG pretty fast. I see tons of Toyota’s with everything you can buy on the roof rack. They have to be 3-4 times over the limit. And to add to it, Rhino Rack and a bunch more cut their load rating in half when used off road. So you’re forced to buy a heavier built platform to keep the heavy items from ripping out of the aluminum rails. I love my Expy because it checks a lot of boxes for me. Plenty of power [emoji3514]. Pulls the boat and SxS’s with ease[emoji3514]. Tons of room[emoji3514]. Nice ride [emoji3514]. Can get off the beaten path for camping and off roading [emoji3514]. EcoBoost[emoji3514]. 9K towing [emoji3514]. 4 low and kinda rear locker [emoji3514]. Third row seat[emoji3514]. Good looking[emoji3514]. Family love it [emoji3514]. Just to name the ones that stand out. If I didn’t care about all these other things. Just overlanding and camping. I would not have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RussD89

Reaction score
Definitely an expectation management thread, here. Since "overlanding" and "rough trails" are in the discussion, I'd suggest something different than the Expedition. While this thing is quite capable at all the things Fozzy mentioned, it's not in the same class as the raptor, 4 runner, etc for a rigged out overlanding vehicle. Get a raptor and put an rsi smartcap or rhino adventure cap on it, or get one of those other offroad friendly SUVs (or maybe a HD truck or raptor) you mentioned and be happier in the long run with your choice.

If you have the money, time, and patience (plus a very good shop that understands what you want and has the fab skills), you might get something functional with your expedition, but not anywhere near capable of your stated goals. It's just not designed with those abilities in mind nor can it truly be turned into that. I do think it can be off-road capable enough for a muddy trails, camping on a somewhat beaten path, hunting type of vehicle.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was talking to a local shop yesterday about the availability of tires for my “light” off-road build.
This is a shop that does all the local lifts and “Carolina squats”
Just for ***** and grins I asked him how much to install the Ready Lift kit, front and rear sway bars and end links. ( I have all the parts)
He told me 600-700 dollars labor, NOT including the alignment afterwards.

That sounded about right.
I’m doing it all myself anyway, I just wanted to know how much money I was saving myself

BTW, the tires I ordered are Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 295/70/18 load range D
Should be a 34.3” tire. They are $350 each—not cheap.
I’m also adding some protection underneath (still trying to nail down my skid plate wish list)
And I’m mulling over adding SumoSprings to help with pulling the travel trailer, but I’m going to see how she does without it first.

I plan on doing a complete photo and video documentary—I’ll post in phases.
And if anyone in the Charlotte area is interested in my 22” Platinum wheels, hit me up.

expeditiondriver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread is getting good. I’m still working through all these options myself. Things being sold out everywhere sure doesn’t help.