List of expensive repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam phasers are across every 3.5 Ecoboost. Expedition, Navigator, F150, Raptor...

They are covered under warranty, but supposedly also it doesn’t hurt anything. There are plenty of videos out there that detail the issue. I also posted a link around here somewhere.

My guess is Ford is aware of issues long term with the phasers. I've seen lots of people talk about extended oil flow issues and other things. If Ford can publish a TSB saying rattling turbos are normal and won't cause an issue, then I would think the would do the same for the VCT noises if there wasn't a chance of something more serious going wrong, the cost of potentially repairing every single engine would bankrupt a company...

Reaction score
40K miles, no problems except for the noisy cam phasers. (Lots of info out there, but research reveals it's noisy, there's no damage to the engine). Still, Ford will replace it under warranty. I chose not, living with the noise rather than a big engine teardown that could lead to other iatrogenic issues. But since I keep cars very long (2000 Explorer 350K miles), the Ford extended warranty on a 2019 Expy XLT seemed prudent. 150K miles is the max offered, and that's what I bought.

OP
OP
A

Aps630

Reaction score
I guess an extended powertrain warranty might be a good idea. Any electrical issues to worry about? Sometimes those can be a pain to resolve.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '16 has I would say zero issues at 44,000 so far. Had to remove the door drain covers as they were getting clogged and holding water. Other than that keeping the oil clean with changes every 3,000 and added a catch can to keep the intake clean. And never ever driving until the engine is at operating temperature.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of these are assuming out of warranty -

A lot of folks have had issues with their retractable steps. Once they are out of warranty, we've seen prices greater than $2K to fix/replace motors etc.
Headlight and taillight assembles over $1K each.
Sunroof/moonroof issues over $2K.
Failed front camera washer sprayer (barfing fluid on the ground) - $300+
Rear window defrost electrical connectors falling off of glass - greater than $1K to replace glass if other repairs don't work.

Shocks and/or struts going bad quickly/leaking fluid - seems to be anywhere from $1K to $2500 depending on how many fail.

Just a few I have read about here or experienced myself.
wow, first time i've seen those posted and it looks like I got both of those. Just noticed the defrost connector this past weekend. I'll have to check the front camera sprayer.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow, first time i've seen those posted and it looks like I got both of those. Just noticed the defrost connector this past weekend. I'll have to check the front camera sprayer.

You'll know if the front camera sprayer is toast, completely fill your washer fluid reservoir and if it's got the issue, it will pour out. Mine luckily happened all over the service garage floor..

EricExpedition

Reaction score
2018 XLT third brake light. Was quoted $700 from the dealership because they can't just replace the few bulbs that went out in it. Had to be the whole unit. Said ha no thanks!

5x10

Reaction score
My '16 has I would say zero issues at 44,000 so far. Had to remove the door drain covers as they were getting clogged and holding water. Other than that keeping the oil clean with changes every 3,000 and added a catch can to keep the intake clean. And never ever driving until the engine is at operating temperature.
My 16 has the tranny replaced around 75k miles
1.5k - 2k job to fix an oil leak, haven’t done it yet
Evaporator core is leaking on the ac, they have to remove the dash, 1k+ for this job, haven’t done it yet
Within a week, I’ll be trading it in on a Denali or Escalade (2018)

‘it sucks, I really like the eco boost, the ride, 3rd row room, and the high quality leather on my platinum but I have no trust in Ford at this point

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 16 has the tranny replaced around 75k miles
1.5k - 2k job to fix an oil leak, haven’t done it yet
Evaporator core is leaking on the ac, they have to remove the dash, 1k+ for this job, haven’t done it yet
Within a week, I’ll be trading it in on a Denali or Escalade (2018)

‘it sucks, I really like the eco boost, the ride, 3rd row room, and the high quality leather on my platinum but I have no trust in Ford at this point

Sorry to hear that. I too love how these drive. If it weren't for that and the fact I don't want to eat 10's of thousands in losses, I'd probably be done. I'm going on 8 service visits in just over a year. There are tons of folks on here who still don't believe in extended warranties, I for one feel there's no choice right now with reliability the way it is. 75k and you're sitting on around 5k in repairs for things that SHOULD last much longer, not good.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Limited, 40k miles, no repairs other than rear passenger window sometimes reversing when trying to close, dealer worked on under warranty, problem still occurs however less frequently. Replaced rear brake pads around 30k miles, replaced tires with Pirelli Scorpion Verde II A/S after having issues with Hankook OEM tires, one with slow leak close to sidewall and another with a slight bubble. BTW the Pirelli’s 22” are fabulous and appear to be wearing well on our 4 X 4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65