Lost my Brakes!!!!! Waiting for Ford Roadside Assistance now!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled in the kiddos school parking lot and got the low fluid light. Checked and I had about a 1/4" under the minimum line. I limped it to the nearest Wal-Mart about 2 miles away by that time all the fluid was gone and no pedal whatsoever.
Looked under the vehicle there in the lot and could not find anything on the ground or a trail from pulling in. I added about 30 oz of fluid which took me right to about the Max line. Limped it home about 2 miles and fluid was already gone.
Looking under the truck it looks like fluid is coming from the hard line above the spring perch on the drivers rear. The shock is completely covered in fluid.
I am presuming that it is brake fluid and that shock is not leaking.
2016 with 50k miles. I just bought the truck in March used and it had a 3 month/4,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty. Of course I just passed the 3 month mark but not the 4k miles.
So I'll be using the Ford Roadside assistance to get it taken in.
I talked with the fella that sold me the vehicle and it sounds like they are probably going to take care of the repairs for me, which is nice. There were a few other minor issues I have had with the vehicle prior to this so he is going to take a look at finding me another and buying this one back.

So now we just sit and wait.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pulled in the kiddos school parking lot and got the low fluid light. Checked and I had about a 1/4" under the minimum line. I limped it to the nearest Wal-Mart about 2 miles away by that time all the fluid was gone and no pedal whatsoever.
Looked under the vehicle there in the lot and could not find anything on the ground or a trail from pulling in. I added about 30 oz of fluid which took me right to about the Max line. Limped it home about 2 miles and fluid was already gone.
Looking under the truck it looks like fluid is coming from the hard line above the spring perch on the drivers rear. The shock is completely covered in fluid.
I am presuming that it is brake fluid and that shock is not leaking.
2016 with 50k miles. I just bought the truck in March used and it had a 3 month/4,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty. Of course I just passed the 3 month mark but not the 4k miles.
So I'll be using the Ford Roadside assistance to get it taken in.
I talked with the fella that sold me the vehicle and it sounds like they are probably going to take care of the repairs for me, which is nice. There were a few other minor issues I have had with the vehicle prior to this so he is going to take a look at finding me another and buying this one back.

So now we just sit and wait.
That sucks. We too have a 2016 with 50,000 miles on it hope this isn't a common issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You've got a broken brake line. Maybe something hit it while driving. If you press down all the way, you should still retain front brakes.

William_ff

Reaction score
I think the press down depends on where the leak is. In my experience, if there is a rear problem, pumping high gives better breaking. I found that full pumps lost all the pressure to the front. I am guessing this is because it starts sending more to the rear.

Curious if you were using the E brakes to help you get around. If it is just a leak in the line, shouldn't be too much to fix.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got a broken brake line. Maybe something hit it while driving. If you press down all the way, you should still retain front brakes.

They catch a LITTLE bit. But about the equivalent of stopping a freight train at any speed of 20 mph

I think the press down depends on where the leak is. In my experience, if there is a rear problem, pumping high gives better breaking. I found that full pumps lost all the pressure to the front. I am guessing this is because it starts sending more to the rear.

Curious if you were using the E brakes to help you get around. If it is just a leak in the line, shouldn't be too much to fix.

The fronts just barely caught. I did not get much speed at all. The tow tuck driver used the e brake.

30oz of brake fluid? I probably wouldn't have driven anywhere myself.

I figured I was not going far and knew it held for the length I was going. Also knew I would not need to do over 30 mph.

It is at the dealer now just waiting to hear the verdict. The EL was dang near bigger than the flatbed they brought. Lifted the front of this truck up almost a foot as he was raising the bed up with the EL on it.

Ford's Roadside assistance was pretty good to deal with.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Since 1967 all cars have a dual braking system. If you lose the rear brakes you still have the front. Sure, the stopping power will be reduced considerably and the pedal will be nearly at the floor but you still have some brakes.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since 1967 all cars have a dual braking system. If you lose the rear brakes you still have the front. Sure, the stopping power will be reduced considerably and the pedal will be nearly at the floor but you still have some brakes.

Not quite true.

Modern hydraulic braking systems are set-up on a split, diagonal system. If one brake line leaks, then the vehicle would have hydraulic braking capability (reduced) on one front wheel and the opposite, rear wheel. If the leak is a major one, it is possible to leak all of the brake fluid from the master cylinder - and lose hydraulic braking on all four corners.

Unless both rear or front lines rupture simultaneously, you cannot “lose” the rear or front brakes with one line leaking.

When a brake line leaks, it is not wise to drive the vehicle - even for a short period of time. The leak can get worse and braking capability is already reduced by the initial leak.

Plati

Reaction score
Not trying to make it worse ... but the e-brake is really a Parking brake. You're only supposed to use it for a non-moving vehicle OR in the case of an Emergency. But it might get damaged if used in an Emergency to stop a moving vehicle. Thats for my 2003 & 2014 Expeditionz with "drum style" parking brake inside the rear rotors.

I hope they've designed something better since then.
Are the newer Expy's same design?

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Backup plan if regular brakes fail is Parking Brake
Backup plan if Parking Brake fails is downshift
Backup plan if downshift fails is ride it out / go uphill
Backup plan if ride it out fails is hit something solid

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Parking brake's still the same cable-controlled contraption that's usually a rusted hulk until you try to get it to stop your 6000 pound truck. I actually started maintaining mine after realizing that it could one day be my last resort in saving myself.

It will stop the truck, slowly, if the rotted cable doesn't snap first.