Lost my Brakes!!!!! Waiting for Ford Roadside Assistance now!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully, the OP will be taken care of.....but after pouring 8-10 oz of fluid, I def would have taken a peek under the truck, if just to see where it must have been pouring out!

FWIW---- front brakes do 70+% of the braking on a car or truck, mototcycle or bicycle....rears, not so much. I teach a "braking class" of sorts on bikes and it's amazing how many times you will see a single black line leading into the trees off a road.....because the rider either didn't know how to use his front brake or that he MUST use them in any kind of emergency situation. Heck, I rarely use a rear brake on a bike & only if the road forces me to with sand or such.
jeff

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully, the OP will be taken care of.....but after pouring 8-10 oz of fluid, I def would have taken a peek under the truck, if just to see where it must have been pouring out!

FWIW---- front brakes do 70+% of the braking on a car or truck, mototcycle or bicycle....rears, not so much. I teach a "braking class" of sorts on bikes and it's amazing how many times you will see a single black line leading into the trees off a road.....because the rider either didn't know how to use his front brake or that he MUST use them in any kind of emergency situation. Heck, I rarely use a rear brake on a bike & only if the road forces me to with sand or such.
jeff

I checked the best I could when I filled it and when I got home.

Apparently the master cylinder, proportioning valve, and brake booster are all bad.
$766 to fix.

The rear drivers shock has fluid on it well because it is leaking too!!!

So I am pretty pissed at the moment.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you have to pay? It's under warranty. Even if it was beyond the miles, which its not, the dealer should honor it for 2 reasons. 1 is customer goodwill, and 2 a lawyer can jump all over this if its a mechanical issue. If you damaged a part , that's different. I'd talk to the regional Ford manager if you can't resolve this at store level.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is above mileage for the Ford Bumper to Bumper warranty so they aren’t going to do anything. I really doubt any level will care too much but any suggestions on locating a regional manager to speak with? This is my 7th Ford and I am only 35 so I have plenty more to buy. One would think they would want to help me out.

I bought from a Chevy dealer and am 1 month out of the 3month/4K mile warranty they offer on all used vehicles.
I talked to my sales person they are going to possibly take care of it.
So we’ll see.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
There's plenty wrong here. The master cylinder, proportioning valve, and brake booster wouldn't all be bad. The dealer is throwing parts at the problem or throwing stories at you. Put simply, you are being lied to. When they go bad, they don't "spew brake fluid" from the rear of the car, as you described in your first post.

But to have those three parts replaced by a dealer at $225/hour (NY prices) would cost far more than $700.

This is wrong. Doubtful that anyonenwith mechanical knowledge is going to stand behind that diagnosis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fluid on the rear shock is shock fluid. The shock is leaking. Separate issues but was the only fluid I could find at the time.

Apparently the fluid loss is at the front along the firewall.

Hourly shop rates are about half here.

If the MC fails pumping extra fluid to the PV and booster not strange that they would fail either.

Though anyway you slice it this should not happen on a 2 year old truck.

Last edited:

Chris Wallace

Reaction score
Lost my brake lines on 99 Expedition - first it was front, then rear. Rust was the culprit. replaced with high quality lines had to bend for around frame, etc.

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A bad shock on a 2 year old vehicle? With the brake problem that doesn't speak well of the quality of the truck. I'd be wondering what else might fail soon.

One of my uncles had a Ford pickup (the one just prior to his current one) where all four front ball joints failed in only 40,000 miles. Ford footed the replacement bill, and installed greaseable replacements. The originals were a plastic lined type, not supposed to need any grease.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A bad shock on a 2 year old vehicle? With the brake problem that doesn't speak well of the quality of the truck. I'd be wondering what else might fail soon.

One of my uncles had a Ford pickup (the one just prior to his current one) where all four front ball joints failed in only 40,000 miles. Ford footed the replacement bill, and installed greaseable replacements. The originals were a plastic lined type, not supposed to need any grease.

I am going to work my way up the Ford “Customer Service” line tomorrow.
A catastrophic brake failure on a 2 year old truck is unacceptable.
The leaking shock is as well but Ford’s shock have always sucked.

Certainly Bilstien, Fox, or ICON had something for us.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I worked at Volkswagen years back, I had 3 different customers Jettas that had leaking rear struts. It's always a slippery slope when you buy a used vehicle with a so called warranty. Combat that with the fact that you bought it from a Chevrolet dealer, and their hoping to make you go away. Don't you dare! Get ahold of consumer affairs, let them know it's a brake safety issue, and this needs to be corrected now. Check with your family attorney, but safety things like brakes usually will be extended beyond limited warranty especially if part failure is found to be something they neglected. Bottom line that dealership doesn't need bad publicity or legal fees. You might have to compromise on parts/labor costs, but I'm sure keeping you happy, and them out of court is top of their list. Keep in touch.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk