Lots of smoke!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHSC

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 97 XLT 4x4 5.4 V8 with 120,000 miles. I just had the oil changed, transfer case fluid changed, and rear diff fluid changed. I was about 1000 miles over on my oil change. Drove it home and it seemed to be running rough. No CEL, no codes. Started it up this morning, and WOW! Large ammounts of white smoke comming from the tailpipe. It's still running rough, at idle, and under power, and feels sluggish. The white smoke dies down after a few minutes but is still there later in the day when I started it again. Also the exhaust stinks kindof like I'm burrning oil.
Everything was fine before the oil change, Any ideas?

Thanks.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
White smoke from the tail pipe is almost always and indication of a blown head gasket ( coolant getting into cylinders ). If it where blue or blueish then it would be more along the lines of rings.

Check your oil and make sure that it is not "milky" ( it is bad if it looks like milk chocolate ) also check under the oil fill cap for any "white" residue. These are both signs of a blown head gasket and would more closley match your discription of running really rough with no CEL and lack of power.

Also 1000 miles over on your oil change is not that bad with the newer oils, check out this thread on the oils and milages people on here are running.

http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=4938

OP
OP
RHSC

RHSC

Reaction score
Thanks Racenut for the quick response. I think you're right, there was "white residue under the oil filler cap. I just had the oil changed yesterday so the oil itself looks fine. I am taking it to my buddy who is a Ford mechanic tomorrow for him to look at.
Anyone ever had this happen to them? If so, what was the outcome and how much did it cost?

Thanks again.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like a head gasket. If the smoke has a sweet smell to it, definitely burning the antifreeze.
Cost is going to be almost all labor. The gaskets are fairly cheap. Depending on if you go to the dealer or not, I would guess anywhere in the range of $400 to $1000 if it's just a gasket change. If the head got warped, probably add another $700-1000 if buying a new head.

OP
OP
RHSC

RHSC

Reaction score
Update.........
Time to find a new oil change place or just do it myself. I took it to my buddy at Ford, he put it on the scanner, and found nothing, no codes or anything. He then removed the oil filler cap, put the truck on the lift, removed the oil pan plug, and HOLY SH%$! 12 quarts of oil came out! The oil change place never drailed the old oil out. Jackasses. Needless to say the truck is fine, runs great, now, and I will be getting my money back from that place and never going back.
Also as a side note, as far as a blown head gasket, I was told that that is very rare on these trucks, so if anyone is having similar problems, look at all the different options before you pop the big $ for a head gasket job.

Later

kickapebble

Reaction score
Get everything documented... most places are liable for any malfunction due to a crappy oil change, and if they damaged it at all, it's their dime.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear that it was not a head gasket, and I agree I would never go back to that place. In fact I would be calling the BBB ( Better Business ) and placing a report/complaint on them.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a side note, white residue on the top doesn't neccesarily mean blown head gasket.

If you do a lot of short trips in cooler weather, the condensation in the crankcase doesn't have time to work itself out and forms around the cap. If should be gone if you do a longer trip (say 30+ miles).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65