LOW profile rooftop rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the wind noise decreased substantially after raising the rails. Plus no more snow and ice problems. I don’t have one of the side without the awning, but I will get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any chance you could load a pic? trying to decide what to do...thanks

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s about 3” higher than mounted to the factory cross bars. I just measured it. I thought it was 4”. I bought it all locally at a place called Rack N Road. They sell Yakima, Thule, Rhino and a few others. The sales guy was really pushing the Yakima bars. I wanted the Rhino as I’m one those guys that like stuff to match. He knew I wasn’t that happy when I saw it. He said drive it a week and if the rattle was still there or I absolutely hated the higher bar he would install the lower cross bars. He didn’t think the wind noise would change much. But it did and the rattle and banging where gone from the flexing stock bars. So I thought it was worth it. I can still get in the airport parking garage so that is good enough. I would buy the Yakima platform but the Rhino had a better size for me. Mine is a 76”x54”. The Yakima is either a bit longer or wider. I can still open the sunroof and there is no rack in the way. The rear seat glass you do see the rack. And it doesn’t stick out past the roof line. I saw a Tahoe today that had the wider platform and it kinda looked dumb sticking out past the body.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s about 3” higher than mounted to the factory cross bars. I just measured it. I thought it was 4”. I bought it all locally at a place called Rack N Road. They sell Yakima, Thule, Rhino and a few others. The sales guy was really pushing the Yakima bars. I wanted the Rhino as I’m one those guys that like stuff to match. He knew I wasn’t that happy when I saw it. He said drive it a week and if the rattle was still there or I absolutely hated the higher bar he would install the lower cross bars. He didn’t think the wind noise would change much. But it did and the rattle and banging where gone from the flexing stock bars. So I thought it was worth it. I can still get in the airport parking garage so that is good enough. I would buy the Yakima platform but the Rhino had a better size for me. Mine is a 76”x54”. The Yakima is either a bit longer or wider. I can still open the sunroof and there is no rack in the way. The rear seat glass you do see the rack. And it doesn’t stick out past the roof line. I saw a Tahoe today that had the wider platform and it kinda looked dumb sticking out past the body.

I did the measurements you listed on one of your previous posts and agree, 76 inches for the MAX for sure, mine is a regular length and the 60x54 Yakima is in the sweet spot. I would not want one out past the body as well.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the measurements you listed on one of your previous posts and agree, 76 inches for the MAX for sure, mine is a regular length and the 60x54 Yakima is in the sweet spot. I would not want one out past the body as well.

What do you think about 68x41? Is the 41 too narrow? It's really just from a looks standpoint, not for any true functionality.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you think about 68x41? Is the 41 too narrow? It's really just from a looks standpoint, not for any true functionality.

It’s only 6.5” in from both sides. I think it would look ok. It would be inside the rails. Where the 54” is just outside the rails. There is some function to the wider racks. More room for cargo and if you want to hang anything off the side rails it will not hit the car rails. My awning and shovel would not work very well with the narrow rack. And I could not put my Maxtrax on the roof side ways with the side rack rails as they are 45” long. If you add the side rails you loose even more space. So it really depends on how you want to set it up for your needs.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
41 inches is fairly narrow... that’s about the same width as the sunroof so it would sit inside the rails by a couple inches on both sides. 54 inches is just outside the rails but still inside the width of the vehicle. I don’t know about the length as that is really a personal preference and dependent upon which length vehicle you have... MAX or the regular length.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Personally... if it is just for looks I would recommend the shorter fatter one. It will look more substantial and be further away from the driver seat (noise). But if you are planning on just using it on the factory rails and use a touch car washes having it inside the rails might be nice...